KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Who was the worst pupil at KBGS

Remember Mark Henderson, left 1966. He was a bit of a bad lad. Smoking in the toilets, at age 14. Drinking in the pubs at 15 and picking up the Greenhead Girls as well at early age. In addition, he introduced me to truancy. Tragically his hedonistic lifestyle led to an early demise in mid-forties.

I wouldn't dream of nominating anyone.
One great lad was Dave Haigh. He did get expelled though I'm not sure for which offence. Could have been when he threw the chair out of the window into Alice Street and it landed on a teacher's car (Harry Blinks' maybe), or it may have been when he nutted that lad whose name I forget.
Last time I saw Dave he was Headteacher of a special school in the West Midlands and was married with two smashing little kids.
Good to see a nutter prospering.

Re: Re: Who was the worst pupil at KBGS

It has to be Wilf Lee. Vicious, violent and disrespectful to masters and pupils alike. Bet he is currently a muck spreader in the Dales. Now he should attend the next KBGS reunion.

'Disrespectful to masters?'
Can't think of any of our 'Masters' who deserved respect.
This is something that needs to be earned by oneself, not beaten into others !
Cheers, Steve..

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

I think there are better things to do than point the finger at old boys who misbehaved.let the poor sods be. I really don't think Clin Firth would approve of the site being used for this purpose so I suggest this be the last reply posted on this subject.PLEASE

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

O.K.!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

As a professional website editor myself, of the highest calibre, pointing the finger at miscreants is very small beer indeed. If Wilf Lee thinks such criticisms are underhand let him say so. I can assure he won't because he knows it's true and Crosshills types like him watch Coronation Street or Emmerdale and don't concern themselves with old boy websites. So Mike Nicholls don't be so silly, and grow up.

Well I had a few rows with Wilf Lee whilst I was a Prefect. I caught him riding his bike pell mell down the path to the bottom at Oakbank just after we moved there. When I shouted out at him to stop I got the Victory V sign.I gave him prefects detention. He got another from me for smoking (in uniform) on the bus.
I never gave anyone else a detention.
But wasnt PG Speller a bad lad also?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

PG Speller was probably considered a 'bad lad' by those in authority. I remember him as someone who didn't conform. Probably because he was much brighter than the rest of us! I'm eternally grateful to PG Speller for teaching me how to tune a guitar!

Yes, my recollection of "George" Spellar is much the same as Allan's. Not what you'd call a "bad" lad - certainly never a yob or thug. He was more a non-conformist intellectual type, with the lack of teacher-pleasing qualities guaranteed to earn him the respect of his peers.
Wasn't his father a clergyman, and didn't he himself post one or two messages on the Forum some months ago?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Yes his father was the Vicar at Ingrow St Johns. I actually have an email address for him, though Ive never been in contact as I didnt really know him. It came as a 'copy to' in an email from someone else.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Does copming 26th equal in Maths qualify?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

It does if there were fewer than 27 in the group and your score was more than 100%.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

Brian R Moate (58 - 64)
Yes his father was the Vicar at Ingrow St Johns. I actually have an email address for him, though Ive never been in contact as I didnt really know him. It came as a 'copy to' in an email from someone else.

There was a pirate radio station which obliterated TV reception in the Ingrow area around 1960. It was rumoured that it was operated by PG Spellar who figured that the church tower would make an excellent - and unsuspected location for it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1956-63

Current location (optional) Bury, Lancs

Shifty and shapeless; if it's the one I remember, he would have shone in a Richmal Crompton novel about a rough lad's school but not in a starring role. I left before he was post pubertal and didn't see him in his kbgs pomp. Can anyone find him on a panorama photo?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

On the 1960 panorama Speller is located in the 2nd row from the back and is No 23 from the right hand side. Head slightly cocked with a black 'quiff'.

On the '58 panorama - count the 6th window from the right and Mr Speller is directly underneath the central frame (3rd row down). On HIS right is Spike Rannard and on HIS left is the recently mentioned Colin Kirkham.

Got him. Thanks Trevor.

I was mulling over a few names to recommend for inclusion in this posting when a sudden fear of the bike sheds and what might happen to me there if I did - so instead I poured a cup of tea and put on some music.

With age comes wisdom.

I would still like to have a friendly chat with Wilf Lee. Why not, it's a short life, you are in the graveyard for a very long time. Anybody know were he is?

And I would still like to have a chat with John Hammond

I thought he was in New Zealand.

So I hear, but no one seems to have a contact address for him