KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Gilbert Swift's legacy

I know it may be a against the grain but I always liked the disciplinarian aspect of Gilbert Swift. A former military man his devotion to rugby was perfectly suited to KBGS. The fact he took the Keighlians to Yorkshire Cup success and also managed the Keighlians bar next to the old school seemed perfectly fitting.

I once saw him give an off the cuff entertaining speech at Bingley RFC in the stand before a Yorkshire Cup match. He was President of Yorkshire Rugby Union at the time. Quite an honour for a humble PE teacher. I was quite proud he was the PE chief at KBGS. I have met many PE teachers since and they are rather feeble and lacking in character in comparison to steadfast Gilbert. I even enjoyed him referring to non-rugby types as suet puddings and cream puffs for opting for cross country instead. He meant well.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68

Current location (optional) Bingley

Re: Gilbert Swift's legacy

Some years ago I accompanied my wife to an eye clinic at Aredale Hospital. We were sat waiting when I heard 'Gilbert Swift' called out. Looking round, I saw him a couple of rows behind us, a straight-backed as ever though quite thin and frail. I went to him and shook his hand and said 'You won't rememember me but I am pleased to meet you'. He asked 'Are you a doctor?'. 'No, just visiting', I answered. It occurred to me that he must have considered doctors to have become rather scruffy!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954 - 61

Current location (optional) Keighley