KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Park Road memories

Hello again Simon,
This thread has mutated into a Bingley-centric one which is fine by me.
Can I elicit any further scandalous memories from you on the matter in hand? You were correct on the JS front but she wasn't a musician in the sense of being a pianist! Do you recall one John Briggs? A concert pianist who lived in Bingley at some time who sadly ended up in prison for a spell.
WHAT WERE YOU CANED FOR? resurrected thread.....not a reason but further instruments of corporal punishment: chalk plus blackboard duster (many teachers), white gym pump ( history) and worst of all the dreaded chair leg "chop" administered by Maths teacher "Basher" Braithwaite; everyone was in fear of this item of furniture.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-80 (inc Oakbank)

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Anthony: I was caned in a group of four sixth formers for leaving detention early. This was easily done as there was no master present. That was a mistake. Come the Monday morning the four of us were summoned to Joe's office for a dressing down and canings. Most boys normally cried on the third and final stroke after successfully enduring the first two strikes.

I was the third boy caned and on my way out of the office I passed the final recipient one David Leach who was in a state of great distress. He was well over 6ft but he had the inner core of a melting jelly. Anyway I knew something dramatic might occur so I waited till he went into Joe's office. I checked to see if there were any masters about in the corridor. And then went to observe what was going on inside by looking through the keyhole. Leach like the rest was told to place his trembling hands on Wattheys desk and stick his shaking posterior out.

The cane had such a profound effect on Leach that he collapsed onto the desk scattering Wathey's in and out mail trays and his telephone. Miss Riley went over like a dutiful squirrel to clean up the desk. How they got through the second and third Leach strokes God only knows. It was all very amusing to say the least. Though I have to confess the caning scars lasted a couple of weeks.

Such punishments were I suppose designed to deter and to make men of us. Which it did. If that did not work I guess expulsion was the final sanction. To tell the truth I would not have minded being expelled to Bingley Grammar School and all those lovely young ladies. One associate Joe Foot was indeed expelled to Bingley GS for being disruptive at Oakbank. I envied him...

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68

Current location (optional) Ilkley

We even had corporal punishment at Mornington Road juniors in Bingley.There was a dreaded teacher named Mrs Ambler who was very liberal in her use of a wooden ruler across the palm of the hand.If I recall this would be for some mathematical misdemeanor...it hurt I know that and it wasn't just the once.
Simon, I'm going to throw you a curved ball and test your memory! Remember these names from the late 1950's John Binns,Peter Willoughby,Margaret Beck,Janice Langstaff,Susan Marks, Linda Cursley,Dorothy Mason. Can you add to the list and have you any background on their development.None of the other lads went on to KBGS I think. Anthony

Anthony: Feisty Mrs Ambler was the deputy head below a certain Mr Baker the headmaster who lived on Villa Road. You were lucky if you had a teacher called Mrs Campbell to answer to. She was a more kindly Scottish educationalist at Mornington Road. Mrs Campbell's husband Bill was the dean of Bingley College. They lived in a nice spacious house in Crownest lane.

I remember all the names you mentioned. An interesting one was Dorothy Mason whose father was head of maths at Bingley GS. For some reason he was nicknamed Bodmus. A sibling was sister Margaret Mason a tall and lively girl who used to frequent the Ferrand Arms and Brown Cow when a student and teacher.

The other boys of our age who went up to KBGS from Mornington Road were chartered accountant Chris Bailey (now deceased), Steven Bailey (KBGS head boy), Andrew Atkinson, David Garner, John Goldsbrough and my old cricket chum rumbustious teacher Peter Davidson who lived on Falcon Road where he had an allotment in later years. Maybe he still does. We both opened the bowling for KBGS under Frank Wellock's guidance. Those Baileys were also regulars at Bingley Conservative Club where I used to visit to play snooker. That place sadly no longer exists and predictably is a wine bar.

Actually today I still know an eccentric retired teacher that lives adjacent to Mornington Road School. Very strange place to live indeed, and also overlooked by that church next door which became flats. Do you agree Bingley began to lose its attraction when Bingley College closed and the local council was absorbed by the dreaded Bfd Metro Council. Or had you moved to Lincolnshire by then. Cheers Simon

Yes,Simon,agree entirely on the cultural and historic downfall of my 'beloved's Bingley. I was around to witness the Bradford MDC sprawl and the same happened to Keighley but for other reasons. My wife went to Bingley College and Mum was a resident when it was Lady Park Nursing Home.
Knew the Bailey lads,Peter Davidson of course and there was a Peter Beaumont I used to knock around with and Paul Smith...neither went to KBGS.
I can solve the Bodmus (sic) nickname. It would have been BODMAS(on) as that's the acronym for the mathematical progression: BracktsOfDivisionMutiplicationAdditionSubtraction.
On the Mornington Road front, I just remember an elderly- to me- teacher called Mrs Scott who was a stickler for the timestables.One of the more pleasant staff,for English/Drama was Christine Culbert. The head before Baker was the inimitable Mr Parkinson.
Whilst writing I've had a new girl come into mind from Tincan towers who lived on Priestthorpe Lane...Barbara Rushton...went 'out' with her a few times....usually Prince of Wales Park! That's all for now. Best wishes.Anthony (aka AG)

Anthony: The comings and going's at Prince of Wales Park in Bingley during the height of the long hot summers in the town during the late sixties were a joy to behold. I would sometimes sit there on a bench reading my KBGS A level books and watch the numerous courting couples go past. Somewhat enviously.

There were nice secluded benches in the higher park and down among the lower trees and footpaths a couple of hidden wooden retreats shaped liked igloos. Anyway they were good for increasing intimacy.

The thing about Prince of Wales Park near Eldwick was that it was very different to Myrtle Park in the town. Which was more attractive to Bingley Secondary Modern School pupils. Somewhere best left to them.

At the same time what was going on at the Bingley College of Education next door to Prince of Wales Park. In that nearby location many hundreds of female student teachers had their own rooms and did not need the Prince of Wales Park to entertain visitors....