KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kirkudbright 1966 World Cup Final

I went to school camp at Kirkudbright several times ( 1963 to 67)and have very fond memories of both the camp and the local town. For a youngster it was the perfect holiday with your mates - lots of sport: six-a-side cricket marches ( in house), matches against Gatehouse of Fleet, Dumfries. Midnight hikes. The local cinema in town with the usual arguments with the locals. Angelini's cafe famous for its milk shakes and local 'birds'. Illicit card games of pontoon in your tent with the look out watching for prowling members of staff. The opportunity to have your first under age drink at one of the pubs ( a pint of heavy) , swimming in the freezing bay, spud bashing and a million other things. Happy days

The reason for my message however is to see if anyone can remember watching the 1966 World Cup Final in the local television shop in Kirkudbright? There was a small group of us parked on the pavement watching the match on one of many tv sets in the shop window. The shop owner kindly invited us in ( one of the rare friendly Scots) and we were surrounded by tv sets coming at us from all angles. -perhaps the first DOLBI sound system?

Although it was a memorable occasion I cannot for the life of me remember anyone who was there with me! Can anyone help? What was the name of the shop? Who was watching with me? How did we celebrate or did we quietly sneak out so as not to upset the locals?

Any feedback welcome.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1963 to 1970

Current location (optional) Steeton

Re: Kirkudbright 1966 World Cup Final

I, too, watched the 1966 FA Cup Final, but I was in a large hall with about 200 others watching on what must have been a rather small TV and going wild when Sheffield Wednesday scored their second goal - a spectacular effort by, I think, Jim McCalliog. I had moved to Sheffield by that time and there were probably only about 5 in the room who were rooting for Everton. Sadly, it didn't turn out well, and Wednesday lost 3-2.
So, sorry, I can't help with your search for who was with you in Kirkudbright but you did help stir memories - if not fond ones.
I guess that the school had changed name by that time to Keighley School, or maybe even another incarnation.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I watched the game in a bar in Germany, in the company of John Brigg and Tony Thatcher. There was silence following the winning ‘goal’. I struggled to thing of the German for ‘ I’ll get me coat’....

As for the lesser event - the 1966 WC final - I can't recall it.

Funny. I watches the match in a bar in Germany too in Cologne,with Mike Hopwood, We hitch-hiked. Those were the days.Wish I knew what became of him.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Good that we made it out of those bars alive, Al. It was touch and go for us...

If you lads could both make it out of The Lord Rodney alive, then those bars in Germany must have been a piece of cake.

seem to remember we boyh were very quiet even at the end

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66