KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quotations

Alec Jackson
\"Lockdown is coming to an end.\" --- Boris. 28th May.
If you tell the truth you get into trouble, and that's why politicians are extremely dull.

Rachel Johnson

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

"It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his position."

H L Mencken.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand

"I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself."

Oscar Wilde.

Alec Jackson
\"I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.\"

Oscar Wilde.
“What I really lack is to be clear in my mind what I am to do, not what I am to know, except in so far as a certain knowledge must precede every action. Kierkegaard

P Lancaster
It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill
But man, proud man,
Drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he’s most assur’d;
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven,
As make the angels weep.

Shakespeare

You and Will are clearly in agreement, Peter, but is your reminder intended as a comment on the political climate we are compelled to live through just now? For ignorance and arrogance are once again centre stage in this benighted country of ours.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

"It is folly to punish your neighbour with fire when you live next door." --- Publilius Syrus.

Yes, Doug.

Another thought: I have sadly come to the conclusion that to know how to vote properly is impossible for me as I am incapable of knowing everything I should know about each topic.

'He was a bold man who first ate an oyster' - Jonathan Swift.

Trevor PIckles
\'He was a bold man who first ate an oyster\' - Jonathan Swift.
Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees.

Kipling

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." WSC.

Votes should be weighed not counted.

Friedrich Schiller

'Counted'? They seem to count for less and less, and certainly weigh less by the hour... and yes, Alec, but why are our voters so ignorant? Everything has a context, every effect a cause. And Peter, I should have no scruples about voting because you feel you don't know enough - that doesn't seem to deter our politicians, some of them even get to be ministers, some even Prime Ministers. Ignorance never stood in Trump's way!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Thanks, Doug. Schiller is too old to ask exactly what he meant: weighed could be looked on as who is doing the voting; eg I don't accept that my vote is worth the same as the vote of a political philosopher.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes." Stalin.

Re: Public Intellectuals

Alec Jackson
\"It\'s not the people who vote that count, it\'s the people who count the votes.\" Stalin.
Steven Pinker
Jordan Peterson
Ben Shapiro
Who else?

P Lancaster
Alec Jackson
\\\"It\\\'s not the people who vote that count, it\\\'s the people who count the votes.\\\" Stalin.
Steven Pinker
Jordan Peterson
Ben Shapiro
Who else?
Strangely, I neither know nor care.

There may be others on this site who are interested in learning.

Years ago, I should have been grateful if someone had brought the name, Christopher Hitchens, now deceased, to my attention.

Christopher Hitchens was intelligent, forensic and extremely well read. He was at his best when he was savaging the powerful (e.g. the shameless Clintons). He was at his worst when he deployed the same degree of venom against ordinary people who were simply being a little illogical or simplistic. Still, a great loss.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Hitchen's Razor applies in stranger circumstances.

I agree about Hitchens' Razor.

Re: Metaphors

P Lancaster
I agree about Hitchens\\\\\\\' Razor.
Tidy your room. Jordan Peterson.

FIN J'espere

P Lancaster
I agree about Hitchens\\\\\\\' Razor.
Tidy your room. Jordan Peterson.

Jordan Peterson is clearly a very untidy fellow, and disobedient to boot.

Re: A point of view

Shaun Pye
Religious apologists complain bitterly that atheists and secularists are aggressive and hostile in their criticism of them. I always say: look, when you guys were in charge, you didn't argue with us, you just burnt us at the stake. Now what we're doing is, we're presenting you with some arguments and some challenging questions, and you complain.
A.C. Grayling

Re: A point of view

P Lancaster
Shaun Pye
Religious apologists complain bitterly that atheists and secularists are aggressive and hostile in their criticism of them. I always say: look, when you guys were in charge, you didn\'t argue with us, you just burnt us at the stake. Now what we\'re doing is, we\'re presenting you with some arguments and some challenging questions, and you complain.
A.C. Grayling
I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

P Lancaster
It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill
So Churchill thought if was good for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. OK! I have one which I turn to periodically when I feel the need to be cheered up or need a laugh. It’s’ title? The Oxford Book of Humorous Quotations by Ned Sherrin. There are sections covering almost any subject you can think of. Last night, before lights out, I spent a quarter of an hour reading humorous quotes about music - a topic which doesn’t really interest me normally. I found a couple attributed to Sir Thomas Beacham, quite a wit judging by the number of quotes he has listed to his name. The first to make me smile was one that he made when he heard that Malcolm Sergent, whose nickname was ‘Flash Harry’ was conducting concerts in Japan. “Ah - Flash in Japan”. The second, which was even better, was addressed to a cellist in his orchestra. “Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands - and all you can do is scratch it”

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Jokes

Great stuff Denis.

As a kid, we were very poor, there was even no base in my pram. I learnt to walk very quickly. Ken Dodd???

“The din of the massed artillery behind us, the continuous crash of exploding shells before us, great shoots of fire and shot in the air above us, the rattle of machine guns in the German line, the bursting of shrapnel shells from the German guns; flashes of flame that seemed to swoop from the air as a hawk on its prey and obliterate the men on whom they descended - it was through this kind of thing that we moved forward, across that desolate waste of mud and water and shell holes - nothing else”

Neville Hind 1st LancashireFusiliers. 1917

This must have been written by ‘Nick’ whilst recovering from the sniper wound which ‘saved’ him at Passchendaele. I certainly regarded the old man in a different light after reading this.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal. STEINBECK

P Lancaster
All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal. STEINBECK
"It's not my job to please people. It's my job to say things that I think are true." Ben Shapiro

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-8

"You'll never get to your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks," WSC

Alec Jackson
\\\\\\\"You\\\\\\\'ll never get to your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks,\\\\\\\" WSC
Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.
Ayn Rand

Just came across this one.
“Cowardice asks the question, ‘Is it safe?’ Expediency asks the question, ‘Is it politic?’ Vanity asks the question, ‘Is it popular?’ But, conscience asks the question, ‘Is it right?’ And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because one’s conscience tells one that it is right.”
Martin Luther King

P Lancaster
Alec Jackson
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"You\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll never get to your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks,\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" WSC
Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.
Ayn Rand
Sorry, can't stop.

Re: Quotations Metaphor

Alec Jackson
P Lancaster
Alec Jackson
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"You\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll never get to your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks,\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" WSC
Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage\\\'s whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.
Ayn Rand
Sorry, can\'t stop.
Clean up your room.------Jordan Peterson

Re: Quotations Metaphor

P Lancaster
Alec Jackson
P Lancaster
Alec Jackson
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"You\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll never get to your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks,\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" WSC
Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage\\\\\\\'s whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.
Ayn Rand
Sorry, can\\\'t stop.
Clean up your room.------Jordan Peterson
SIT!