KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dietary preferences

We didn’t have breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had breakfast, dinner, tea and supper. What were your dietary preferences at these mealtimes?

Re: Dietary preferences

The latter.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Don't know about preferences Allan. Most of the time it was a case of what we got, although there was the occasional opportunity for a preference.
Breakfast was either cornflakes or sugar puffs - though I would sometimes get myself a bovril sandwich instead.
Dinner was different according to whether it was weekend or not. Weekdays would be a range of things (boiled egg, egg fritters, a sandwich of some kind - things that were quick because of the need to get back to school. Sundays would be roast chicken, or sausages if things were a bit tight that week. Saturdays could be a cooked meal (sausage or bacon etc.) or, if time was at a premium maybe a (cheese) sandwich again.
Tea was usually either something with chips or something else with chips (Since my dad had a sandwich during the day we usually had something hot for tea). The occasional highlight was when I was sent to the butcher's for succulent cold roast pork.
Supper was usually a drink with biscuits but I would always have bovril with bread dipped in it too.
My favourite bits were in between though. I'd use my pocket money to go to the shop and get a pound of peas or a bilberry pie or, if I had no money, I'd peel a potato and eat it raw. Can't get decent bilberry pies any more but the peas and potatoes still taste as good.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Never ever heard of anyone eating raw potato. We had breakfast, Porridge , no breakfast cereals then []1940's]Dinner at dinner time [12.30] Tea at tea time and in the war supper later maybe fish and ships which were not rationed .
Dinners followed a regular pattern . Roast dinner on Sunday . Cold meat from the roast dinner on Monday . Fried potato and cold meat Weds . Chops or mince or meat and potato pie ,perhaps liver and kidney pie Weds and Thurs . Fish with veges on Friday .
All the dinners were finished off with either Treacle pudding, Ginger pudding , Chocolate pudding , Jam pudding all with custard of course .Tea was cold meat , ham or spam ,or tongue with salad. Loads of jam and bread . Every thing was home made so I reckon we did rather well .

Breakfast, Cornflakes or puffed wheat; dinner, egg and chips, fish and chips, meat and potato pie and chips; tea, beans or Heinz spaghetti or egg on toast; supper, cheese on toast or (once a week) fish, scone and chips from Podmore’s off West Lane. I didn’t get fat without effort.

Puffed wheat for breakfast midweek. Fried tomato and bacon at weekends.
School meals for dinner midweek. Roast beef and yorkshire pudding plus gravy, mash and peas, followed by rice pudding on Sunday.
Haddock and chips for tea. Sometimes liver and mash, sometimes finnan haddock and mash (yellow fish cooked in milk). Dad sometimes had tripe - not me!
Tea and ginger biscuits for supper.
Jam and bread anytime in between. Or a plate of beans.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme

oh Allan - Scone and chips - You shouldn't have reminded me - Mmmmm.

Scone and chips at Podmores. They must have gone on for a few years as they were flat out during the war .I never ever sampled Scones. What was the main ingredient of a scone .Never ever seen or heard of them since .

Take a large potato. Cut two thin slices. Take a similar sized slice of fish and make them into a fish sandwich. Dip in batter and fry. Mmmm.
In other parts of the country they are known as fish cakes (but then what do they call fish cakes?)

Shaun Pye
Take a large potato. Cut two thin slices. Take a similar sized slice of fish and make them into a fish sandwich. Dip in batter and fry. Mmmm.
In other parts of the country they are known as fish cakes (but then what do they call fish cakes?)
At my local chip shop, the first order could be a glass of pop. Threepence.

Upon giving my order, two questions: do you want bits on and do you want them wrapping up.

I take it that "Bits on " refers to what we called "Scraps" . Thats the bits of batter floated off the hot fat

My preferred order was fish, scone and chips with scraps. Podmore’s was still going in 1987 but closed not long after that when the couple that ran it retired. Did anyone else judge their height in relation to how high they came up to the chip shop counter?

Mike Nichols
I take it that \\\\\\\"Bits on \\\\\\\" refers to what we called \\\\\\\"Scraps\\\\\\\" . Thats the bits of batter floated off the hot fat
Yes Mike, scraps. My computer's playing up and I could only read your first line. There's also a red triangle saying, Not secure?

Just came to me - fried pork luncheon meat, or fried corned beef. We were so fond of our health foods back in the day.

Though it wasn't a favourite of mine, something that many people used to eat was haslet.
I only recently discovered what it was - a Lincolnshire version of meatloaf apparently.

What about red skinned polony?

Having been on a vegan diet for years, I shudder at the thought.

It seems that polony was Bologna sausage, sometimes called baloney.

I went to my grandma's house down Calton Street Lund Park Area in Keighley
every Thursday it was always Polony and Chips. She sent me to Cunnigham's Fish shop on
Victoria Road for a few penneth o' curly chips. It were reight grand.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Jam Roly-Poly, treacle sponge, spotty dick, apple crumble and other such health foods were a real treat.

Tinned fruit with Carnation

Treacle tart with cornflakes on top?

I had a mate who would go into the greengrocer's and ask for damaged fruit: they had a box near the floor containing rejects.

We also had a lad in the village who would beg the core when he saw a kid eating an apple. I never knew if his dad worked or not.

Gilbert Swift also told us that we should wear clean socks each day; if we couldn't manage that, we should wear a pair alternate days. Unbelievable today?

No wonder he wanted you to wear clean socks . I would know where I was blindfolded and taken into the Gym. He must have noticed

Current location (optional) Tasmania