KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Name Dropping

Trevor, it was a joy to see your post regarding John Fahey.
Allan and I are not alone then.
I also once encountered John Renbourn when he was playing in the Cloth Hall at Leeds University, not too long before his death.
He had become almost as wide as he was high but amazed me by, at times, sitting cross-legged to play the guitar.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

And silly me thinking of Duane Eddy. But how did Chet Atkins measure up?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Yes Allan, Tony Klassen is brilliant - and clearly a big fan of Fahey.
As for Chet Atkins - I wish that I could play as well as he could. He could certainly play much better than he used to demonstrate when I saw him on the TV when I was a young lad. People often played what the public wanted rather than what they were capable of. Some stuff on youtube shows that he could play - somewhere at the top end of the Championship, whereas Fahey, Grossman, Renbourn etc were more like Champions League, and I am Sunday league after 10 pints the night before.
Another name dropping, albeit once removed.
A good friend of mine at university studied philosophy. One holiday she took the train to London and, as she was walking through the train looking for somewhere with a table to sit, she saw an elderly gentleman sitting alone next to a window. It was Bertrand Russell. I was really envious and asked her what they had talked about. She said that she had been too frightened to sit by him and had gone to the next carriage instead.

I'll check out Klassen.
I had a Master Class a few years ago with Martin Carthy (well, there was 1/2 dozen of us) at the Port Fairy Folk Festival
Also, only a few weeks ago we hosted Eleanor McEvoy for a few nights as she attended an International Folk Music Conference in Geelong - lovely lady!!!

'What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.'
After some fifty or sixty repetitions, this remark ceased to amuse me.

Bertrand Russell

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Trevor, I went to such a session with Stefan Grossman a number of years ago. His core message to everyone there was to play louder. Sounds simplistic but it really does give body to what even the poorest of us would-be guitar players produce (sadly it doesn't make us pick the correct strings or fret the correct notes. Hey ho.

Re Ding dong,ding dong.

Shaun Pye
Trevor, I went to such a session with Stefan Grossman a number of years ago. His core message to everyone there was to play louder. Sounds simplistic but it really does give body to what even the poorest of us would-be guitar players produce (sadly it doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t make us pick the correct strings or fret the correct notes. Hey ho.
He was known as Holy Joe but I did feel sorry when, in class and the large clock struck, it was mimicked by some scholars when he was looking the other was.

Also, wasn't Cakey Patterson's room the first down the cardbooard corridor?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-8