KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Memories - Food cupboard, chocolate and comics

Popalol . Now you’re talking. Your recipe?

Popalol: complicated recipe. Black spanish from sweetshop. Not to be confused with Liquorice. Cut up to get it into a hopefully clean empty pop bottle and shake vigorously. Keep shaking until you can detect any taste in the mixture. In retrospect, warm water may have been better.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Yes, it had to be a ha'penny spanish. They were little hard and brittle and ideal for making popalol.
The penny spanish was soft, flexible and much larger. "Foreigners" called it liquorice.
Anyone know why we used the name "spanish"?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Apparently because Spanish monks brought a liquorice tree to Rievaulx Abbey....

I've never met anyone from outside the Keighley area who called it spanish. So our ancestors in Keighley were very knowledgeable.

On the origins of phrases..’mash t’tea’...where does that come from? In Fife they say ‘mask’ tea. Asking for a friend.

I believe it has its origins in ale brewing terms.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Brummies talk about brewing the tea. So it looks like mashing must be an old Yorkshire word for brewing.

Let's have a brew, as the two Lancashire folk I know, say.

From my ancient memory of home beer brewing, the wort is placed in the mash tun [bucket in my case] at approx 150 F and Brewer's yeast* added. It forms a thick crust on the surface initially then sinks to the bottom as fermentation progresses, the yeast converting the sugars to Co2 and alcohol. The yeast forms a thick layer on the bottom so I siphoned beer off into a clean bucket before bottling.

CAREFUL: if the beer is bottled before it is almost finished fermenting, the bottles explode, as I once found out. It's safer to use a hydrometer.

I also found home brew had a tang I didn't like though I bought a book, "Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy." Can't remember much about result but I stopped brewing soon after.

* Brewers yeast I got from bottled conditioned beer such as Guinness or a Pale Ale {Red Label or White Shield} and collecting drega.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58