KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: KBGS Annual Reunion, 2019

Wish I could be there Doug - regards to all!!!

Current location (optional) Oz

Much as I regret it, I am afraid that I will be unable to attend the Re-union lunch this year. Sorry Doug!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

What's the price this year, Doug?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

"The next annual Old Keighlians’ Reunion, the seventeenth since 1995, will be held at the Keighley Rugby Union Football Club House, Skipton Road, Utley, between noon and late afternoon on Friday, 13 September, 2019.

The price of the buffet lunch this year will still be £17 per head – the same as the last five years – for which, our grateful thanks to Janet Feather. Wives and partners are, as always, very welcome, as are indeed, and especially, widows of our deceased ex-school-fellows."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Was thinking I/we might try to get over, but unfortunately I have heart by pass surgery next week so unlikely to be fully recovered.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

All the best Brian , 17yrs since I went for my Bypass. Do as they tell you and you will be fine .Sounds like my mother !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Thanks to David Seeley, once again, for your attempts to recruit more Old Boys (and Girls) for this event. We certainly need them for numbers are well down at the moment of writing, even on last year's turnout. I think that very soon, maybe this year if we don't amount to thirty even, we shall have to call it a day. We can't expect KRUFC to keep hosting us at no charge in the large room we occupy, nor for that matter Janet Feather to put on the super lunches she provides for us at what must be an ever-diminishing profit margin. There must also come a point at which the vibrant atmosphere of past reunions is lost simply through lack of numbers. Fixing the ideal date in September has always been problematical - understandably, many of us senior citizens take our holidays in September, so there have always been a few regular attenders who couldn't make it in a particular year, but it seems to be rather marked this year. We still have a fortnight or so to go but judging by my experience of previous years I can't be too optimistic. Sic transit...

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

You've been doing a great job Doug - I sincerely hope the tradition doesn't come to an end!

Current location (optional) Oz

Cheque's in the post Doug !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Wrong, Alec, cheque's in the bank!

Doug

Now mine IS in the post Doug.

As usual, another good meal - and good company (again as usual).
A shame that they are reducing year on year (the numbers that is rather than the size of the individuals).

I felt guilty last Friday! I would loved to have been able to get to the reunion luncheon but I was just too far away to be able to get to Keighley in time. How many were able to attend? Was a date fixed for 2020? Are we likely to be able to see any photographs?

Denis, no need for feelings of guilt - it's the first time you've missed in the ten years I have been organising the event. In the end, twenty-five people managed to get there, but clearly the earlier date in September caused more than you difficulties, so basically my fault. Gill and I are taking a group of ten to Italy this coming Sunday, for a week, and it was that trip which necessitated the shift towards the middle of the month. Next year the reunion will take place on Friday, 25 September, so let's hope for a better turnout. Sadly, Janet Feather, who for the past six years has fed us so well and so cheaply, is retiring at Christmas, and we have no idea who will replace her or, indeed, whether we shall still be able to count on the support of the rugby club with regard to the venue. Janet has promised to help us negotiate a smooth passage but in the last analysis whatever decisions are made will be out of her hands. Unfortunately, Joe McDowell is apparently a much less frequent presence at the club than he was formerly - he has not been to the last two reunions, and is not in the best of health - and I personally know no one now at the club. So, there is an air of uncertainty over everything at the moment.

We did take a group photograph but as far as I am aware no others were taken.

Doug

Joe McDowell and I played with Keighlians 1st XV back in the early 50’s and I am still a patron of the club. Not that I ever get in here much these days but you never know, it might help when they are considering whether to ‘chuck us out’.

Thanks for that, Denis, I'll call on you if necessary.

Doug

No 'Happy-Snaps' yet?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Have just wasted an hour trying to upload the 'happy snaps', Alec, but always rejected. Any suggestions?

Doug

Ask a teenager, Doug, whilst they still know everything. 😉

Go to your facebook page, open a group page as KBGS, ( here's the interesting bit) take photo's of the photo's and load them onto the group page.