KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shops

Amazing how a train of thought expands: there was a steamy cafe, Oldfields? on the street across the top of the market where I used to meet my dad for dinner. There was also a pet shop where we got my Cairn Terrier annually plucked as he used to call it. Sandy hated the occasion and sensed it was about to happen.

And who remembers Anderton's, the coach trip firm on Church Green, not to forget Mr Sadler barber,Golbourne St?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) W Yorks

I was a bit slow on the previous entry . Noticed that Denis had probably just had or would soon have his Golden Wedding . So cause for congratulations Denis and your lovely wife . May you have many more anniversaries. Mary and I clocked up our 64 th today . Tempos fugit to add to Benedicte Benedictat .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Sorry, not Golden--------Diamond

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

The Chinese in College Street was The Golden Pheasant. Wasn’t the fish and chip restaurant Moseley’s, or have I misremembered that?

Sorry that I didn’t make It clear in my post - my wife died many years ago i’m afraid! Our Diamond Anniversary would have been celebrated On 26th September.. The date will certainly be remembered by me, but quietly!
There was a shop near to the Milk Bar which sold art work and picture frames. Edwin Ribey?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

The Fell Lane shop was Freds .. Fred Greenwood

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Mosleys , Allan

Fred Sadlers family (wife Marion and son David, an excellent musician who emigrated to NZ) was well known to me at Lund Park Methodist Church. But I usually had my hair cut at Jim Berrys in Low St. Also knew Harry Anderton. His 2 elder daughters also come to Lund Park Youth Club

PS correct Latin phrase is 'Benedicte benedicat'. Was always said at Uni (Nottm) Hall of Residence formal dinner.

Mosley's sounds right, Alan

I also remember a shoe shop near the top of Low Street? I was fascinated by a floor gadget which the foot was placed in which showed an xray of the toes in the shoe. I knew the chap who officiated, who was from my church at the time.

Tempus fugit. Yes, it's terrifying. {Presumably inspires fugitive?}

I think the shoe shop was Stylo. Midgeley’s On Cavendish Street had radios and gramophones and tellies. They also sold me my first Muddy Waters LP! What was the name of the hobby shop opposite where you got your Airfix models?

Brian - the Anderton girls were called Sandra and Penny.
We also knew Pat Seeking (of Seeking's tobacconist's).
Unlike you I was a regular customer at Fred Sadler's. Fred was a lovely man. You could tell him exactly how you wanted your hair cutting - then you always got the standard cut.
There was a "herbalist's" somewhere on Church Green. Can't recall what it was called.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Seeking's - not just a "tobacconist's" - more of a generalists as I recall. Brian Moate will no doubt be able to give an exact account.

Sorry Shaun, I vaguely remember the Seekings, but cant add anything.

The Earliest Chinese restaurant I remember was the 'Mai Kwai'

Brian R Moate
Sorry Shaun, I vaguely remember the Seekings, but cant add anything.

The Earliest Chinese restaurant I remember was the 'Mai Kwai'
Harry​ Wood down Cavendish St.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 -​66

Current location (optional) Haworth

This jogged a few memories for me
https://youtu.be/lDj43eEHqXc

Allan Jones
This jogged a few memories for me
https://youtu.be/lDj43eEHqXc
Misspent youth? Satdy neets, Devonshire Arms? bottom of Cav observed by the Salvation Army.

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Thank you for helping people get the information they need.
kisi ke dil me pyar dalne ki dua

Current location (optional) Esbon, KS 66941

LoganTMoni
Thank you for helping people get the information they need.
kisi ke dil me pyar dalne ki dua
Don't click on the link in the post above. At best it's an advert. At worst it's phishing.