KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Memories - Food cupboard, chocolate and comics

Ah! Seabrook's. Mmm.
No crisps at all in the photo's Allan. Of the chocolates shown my favourite was Rollo but the best of all, Fry's Five Boys, doesn't appear at all. The one I couldn't stand was Crunchie.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I was partial to a Wagon Wheel, which in those days were gi-normous!

On the topic of comics, occasionally there would be free gifts to entice the buyer. Can you remember any of them? I remember a plastic submarine into which you were supposed to place baking soda to make it rise from the depths of a glass of water.

Burton Foods say that the size now is the same as then. Just the eater has got bigger. 😀

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Allan Jones, mini parachutes you chucked up in the air. Also some things you put a 'cap' in that looked like bombs. You chucked them up too and they exploded when they landed on a hard surface. The some things called 'Whizz Bangs' - two triangular shaped pieces of cards with thinner brown paper with a fold between them. You gave them a flick and they made a loud noise as the folded bit flew out

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes indeed! I remember all those too! The Whizz-bang came with the Beezer I think.

There are not many I don't remember . As far as comics were concerned I could never understand why the teachers actively discouraged us from reading them . As far as I could see any reading matter was a good start and the comics then were totally reading matter . None of them had any pictures save for the title of the subject on page one and then only about 2 inches. The rest of the story was fed by your imagination . I started on Chicks Own , Comic Cuts , then Beano and Dandy before graduating on Rover , Adventure , Champion , Hotspur and lastly Wizard. Despite the war the comics were still printed and the stories reflected the times .
As for chocolates I still have a collection of the utility chocolate wrappers , which were sleeves about an inch wide which slipped over the silver paper covering the chocolate with the makers adverts on them .
I collected at that time cigarette packets from all over the world that the servicemen discarded, as well as match boxes which were very varied too . These have all long gone now though .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

The utility chocolate wrappers sound interesting Mike. Can't be many people who've kept them.
Do you have any way of scanning them and putting the images on the website?

Shaun,after much searching I have located the wrappers . However attempts to put them on the site have failed as it points out that it will not accept the scanned items . I tried the miscellaneous section but no luck . Wonder what I am doing wrong?

I'd pop round and have a look, Mike, but I'm a little pressed for time.
My only thought is that, if your scanner store the images as pdf files, maybe the website doesn't recognise them.
Some tech whizz kid could, I'm sure, be of more assistance - maybe Doug?

Well I managed one but was refused the second as the file name was already used although it was a different number . Will try tomorrow ,it may have forgotten by then !!

Mike Nichols
Well I managed one but was refused the second as the file name was already used although it was a different number . Will try tomorrow ,it may have forgotten by then !!
Wasn't there a bloke called Wilson in, maybe, the Wizard who was a wonder guy for stamina etc? I took Wizard and Hotspur and swapped with a mate for the Rover and Adventure. One of his comics had a series of stories headed "I flew for the Fuhrer." Before that it was Dan Dare in the Eagle?

Fry's chocolate cream was a favourite. I seem to remember also asking for a six square bar with different flavours when the rep was in the sweet shop. They were out of stock and the rep said he'd send one. I haunted that shop until I finally got it. Later I preferred the mint cream version in a green wrapper rather than dark blue?

They're still going strong.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) W Yorks

A Bloke indeed. My super- man in the 1940's. For a full profile go to Google and type in " Wilson the Wonder Athlete" he has a full Wikipedia profile It gives a good idea of the story line . Not only that he was from Yorkshire , I only found that out today.

Thanks for that, Mike: I'll check the Wiki entry: but in the meantime, didn't Wilson lie down and store up sleep in his spare moments? And didn't he wear a black vest all the time which maybe served as a shirt?

Mint yoyos anybody? And chocolate teacakes? Nowt to do with bread.

Current location (optional) W Yorks

Peter Lancaster
Thanks for that, Mike: I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll check the Wiki entry: but in the meantime, didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t Wilson lie down and store up sleep in his spare moments? And didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t he wear a black vest all the time which maybe served as a shirt?

Mint yoyos anybody? And chocolate teacakes? Nowt to do with bread.
Has no one remembered the Eagle comic? Dan Dare, an early spaceman? Or is it a figment.....?

I believe, in maybe the Rover, a serial, "I flew for the Fuhrer."

Them w'days.

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Popalol. anybody?

Popalol . Now you’re talking. Your recipe?

Popalol: complicated recipe. Black spanish from sweetshop. Not to be confused with Liquorice. Cut up to get it into a hopefully clean empty pop bottle and shake vigorously. Keep shaking until you can detect any taste in the mixture. In retrospect, warm water may have been better.

Yes, it had to be a ha'penny spanish. They were little hard and brittle and ideal for making popalol.
The penny spanish was soft, flexible and much larger. "Foreigners" called it liquorice.
Anyone know why we used the name "spanish"?

Apparently because Spanish monks brought a liquorice tree to Rievaulx Abbey....

I've never met anyone from outside the Keighley area who called it spanish. So our ancestors in Keighley were very knowledgeable.

On the origins of phrases..’mash t’tea’...where does that come from? In Fife they say ‘mask’ tea. Asking for a friend.

I believe it has its origins in ale brewing terms.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Brummies talk about brewing the tea. So it looks like mashing must be an old Yorkshire word for brewing.

Let's have a brew, as the two Lancashire folk I know, say.

From my ancient memory of home beer brewing, the wort is placed in the mash tun [bucket in my case] at approx 150 F and Brewer's yeast* added. It forms a thick crust on the surface initially then sinks to the bottom as fermentation progresses, the yeast converting the sugars to Co2 and alcohol. The yeast forms a thick layer on the bottom so I siphoned beer off into a clean bucket before bottling.

CAREFUL: if the beer is bottled before it is almost finished fermenting, the bottles explode, as I once found out. It's safer to use a hydrometer.

I also found home brew had a tang I didn't like though I bought a book, "Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy." Can't remember much about result but I stopped brewing soon after.

* Brewers yeast I got from bottled conditioned beer such as Guinness or a Pale Ale {Red Label or White Shield} and collecting drega.