KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Cricket

Is anyone other than myself uneasy with the result at Lords?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Yes Alec ,we are uneasy too. That is me and Mary. We see it as a draw and the honours should be shared ,not decided by a contrived " penalty " which in itself was a draw too .
A brilliant game spoilt at the end

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

It does seem a bit silly to me. However I can't get worked up about it because, for me, cricket is the 3/4/5 day game and the 20/50 overs stuff is a bit of light entertainment.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

It would seem that if the umpires had administered the rules correctly, England would not have won. Something about the batsmen having to have crossed in order to qualify for an additional run! It all seems very complicated to me. We used to make up silly rules when we played cricket in the park using coats for wickets. The one I remember best was the rule that insisted we play the next three balls with the bat handle when there was any dispute over an l.b.w. decision. I can never recall ‘Percy’ Baxter having to play bat handles. He could argue too well.!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Yes Denis, we had bat handles too. Can't recall what resulted in this requirement though. Also, when we played in the playground at Ingrow Juniors, in order to catch someone out if you were touching the wall that incorporated the wicket you had to do so one handed. Why?

I have to agree with you Shaun, but County cricket may well have died the death were it not subsidised by limited overs cricket. I have been to Yorkshire matches when, sadly, there can't have been more than a hundred in the ground.

"Cricket is a game invented by the English,who,not being a particularly spiritual people, needed some concept of eternity." . . . ???

Absolutely. A hollow victory. The moral victory is with New Zealand. We should have been able to chase that score with ease though I accept the pitch was difficult.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

A Keighley lad, George Hill is currently captaining the England under 19 side who are playing India. Maybe one for the future !

Full name George Christopher Hindley Hill

Born January 24, 2001, Keighley, Yorkshire

Current age 18 years 183 days

Major teams England Under-19s, Yorkshire 2nd XI

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm medium

I might add that the other Yorkshire lad in the side is the wicketkeeper, Finlay Bean from Harrogate.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

The England cricket team. Does anyone know the root of the problem ?

Alec, there clearly isn't a problem. There is a cunning plan to lull the Aussies into a false sense of security.

... and they're making a damn good joe of it !

George Hill of the under 19s England team is a Keighley lad, as Brian says. He has recently been captain of cricket at Sedbergh School. Does anyone on this forum know of his ancestry? Is he a member of a Keighley family, who might have attended KBGS in the past.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Words fail me. 💩

Think of the slagging I'm getting here in Oz - I think I'll stay indoors until the tour is over!!!!!!!

Current location (optional) Oz

What did I tell you, Alec?

Proof, if proof were needed, that God is an Englishman. :scream:

Get the champagne out, Trevor, and make the most of it.😈

Wow - unbelievable, what a finish - but I bet it will be very quiet at Rotary tonight!!!!!!!!!!
I'll just say nothing.

Current location (optional) Oz