KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Calling all Silsdeners = ex KGGS and KBGS pupils

I might just mention here aslo that Kevin Hawkins referred to in posts above has passed away aged 71. See 'Family History' thread for more. He was a Silsdener.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Not a Silsdener, actually from Haworth, I too spent the same years at KGGS, leaving early before 6th Form due to disinterest. I did not find my schooldays particularly happy ones but now looking back with great nostalgia I realise those years were a very important part of my life. I am now an avid follower of the Keighley Girls' and Keighley Boys Grammar School page on Facebook where old photos miraculously appear with faces I had long forgotten. I note that Brian Moate is a regular contributor. As far as teachers go there has been a post this last week with a photo of all the teachers we remember, loved or loathed, over the years mentioned, well worth a trip down memory lane.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1963

Current location (optional) Cairns, Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia

Not from Silsden or Haworth but Oakworth but I recollect the walk over to Haworth to the flicks. T'Olduns or T'Newuns. Happy days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-8

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Hope you don’t t mind me joining in . I’ve just come across this after posting in KBGS forum ,so although I was at KGGS a lot earlier than you Julia , names of some teachers familiar of course .
Miss Evans, Miss Wilson (Bill),Miss Crompton, Miss Firth , the 2 Miss Jones, I’m not good on names but faces I don’t forget .
Now what were the gym teachers called ? I can see their faces .One used to take us girls to Keighley swimming baths but because I’d been thrown in at Glusburn baths
( I lived in Cowling)
I was scared to let go of the pipes so I used to ask my mum to write me a note of.excuse .... Miss Gledhill ... it’s just come to me lol , used to say “ you need to see a doctor if you’re always on your period” . Obviously mum put down the same excuse time after time.
To this day I have never learned to swim .
Miss Rawstron I liked , she wore lovely clothes .
The lads from KBGS used to come over to play Rugby on the next field ... was it ?
Imagine this . Once I was on holiday in Spain and round the pool got talking to two couples . It came out the men had been at KBGS at the same time . Peter joked more than once “Oh Yes I remember those navy blue knickers ! “ that would be when were out playing netball ?
We got to be good holiday friends with the four of them .
I think two or three Silsden girls were in my form . One was called Thea ,quite an unusual name I thought .
Happy days ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) KGGS 1947-1953

Current location (optional) Lancashire