KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cox's Roundabout

I think the link may not be publicly available, Brian. Clicking takes me to message "Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in". I'm guessing the latter. You would need to change settings to Public for that post.

Wasn't the roundabout outside The Albert Hotel always there - or is my memory playing tricks?

Current location (optional) Torquay, Australia

Gents - an Update.

Over the weekend of the 7/8th August, I was in Wakefield on business, after which I stopped by Keighley visiting the library to go through the available archive. Unfortunately nothing was found, however an extraordinary peice of luck occurred when I stopped by a Jeep garage in the Bradford Road and asked whether anyone might know somebody who worked at F E Cox in the 1960's and can you believe a gent called Brian had just popped in and he used to be an apprentice there in the 60's!

The reason for my research is due to a Jaguar (E Type) I purchased in 2011, that was sold new through Cox's in 1962. A year or so after my purchase in 2011 I met with the owners son then 83 (who still resided in his fathers house) who had invited me after an exchange of correspondence to come up for tea so he could be reunited with the car and which he had used in period.

Back to the weekend of 7/8, Brian kindly gave me names of former colleagues and one in particular Ray had worked on my car in period and he remembered well the owner. More information is being gathered but I just wanted to show how helpful this forum has been in unlocking this peice of research - I will update later. The thing I would dearly like to find would be a photo of F.E Cox in the 60's when the overhanging clock was in position over the National petrol pumps in Bradford Road.

Current location (optional) hertfordshire

Allan , works for me if you copy and paste the address into you browser heading...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209592189680902&set=p.10209592189680902&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Still not getting through to that link. Maybe you can see it because it's your facebook account and therefore you have permission to view? Can anyone else open the link? Maybe it's just my steam driven computer!

I can't get it either Allan.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I lived in Beecher Street, just a hundred yards down Bradford Road from Cox's Garage, so knew it well. It was indeed on the corner of Hardings Road and Bradford Road, and the petrol pumps could be accessed from either of the two roads. For most of my childhood it had an old Studebaker car in the window opposite the pumps, which had belonged to a Keighley GP (whose name escapes me now - Carmichael, maybe?), in the twenties and thirties. I think there was no roundabout there until the nineteen seventies, and in order to create it a great slice of the bottom part of Victoria Park - including the gates and the cottages either side of them - was removed. Grievous to me for that area of the park was precisely where we kids from the streets around played rugby and cricket, the former even on dark nights, by the 'floodlighting' from Hardings Road.

The Bradford Road entrance to Ondura left a great, cavernous,covered space open to the road, once its doors were closed for the night, and that too provided a play area, especially when it was raining - 'floodlit' from Bradford Road.

'The Beeches' was mentioned earlier in this thread, but it wasn't always the hotel-restaurant it is now, though its name was always that. It was a house which belonged to a Mr Feather, the owner of Botany Mills, down Dalton Lane. It also happened to be the last delivery of my paper round and every Christmas Mr Feather would meet me at the door and give me a ten-shilling note as a tip - which was quite something in the nineteen-fifties. There was also always a sense of trepidation attached to this Christmas treat, the fear that he might forget, or decide not to bother... fortunately, he always came up trumps!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria