KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Calling all Silsdeners = ex KGGS and KBGS pupils

I remember the Pirates very well. My good friend Kevin Hawkins as the Major General ( was in touch with him a few years ago), and I think Alan Brooke, a neighbour of ours was Frederick. Not sure about Mabel, but possibly Evelyn Whitaker (whom I once dated) and Judith Sugden would be possibilities. The fire was March 1962 just before I did 'O' levels, we didnt get a week off like those classes not doing public exams that summer. Going back to Kevin , he had a mass of nearly black hair which had to be liberally dosed with talcum powder to make it white. When I saw him more recently its was exactly how it should have been for playing the Major General. Wasn't Kevin from Silsden like you ? (PS I am a relative of Miss Shirley Balmer, later Mrs Twigg, who taught Geography). I wasnt a Silsdener though.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Occasional visitor to the web-site and not a Silsdener.
A lady called Cathy Liddle (was Mason and I think was ex KGGS) is involved with Silsden history. Try searching Silsden History Group.
My grandparents lived on Bolton Road (1900/19'ish) and I have a couple of school photos re Aire View & Elliott Road Board Schools 1902 / 1907, I guess someone in the family was there.
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Herbert Pearce (lived Vale View area) for a couple of years at KBGS and believe he married ex KGGS girl, Diane Stead. Another KGGS was Gillian Smith (lived Spencer Avenue) and sure her dad was involved with poultry, her brother went off to sea with Blue Funnel whereas I went with LOF.
One leave (say 1970) Sundays were spent snooker sessions at Weaver & Dyers Club (or similar name) then on to the Stoney Lea and the last couple of hours sing-a-long at The Fleece, most of the time it was with John Abbott (North Street) and (fairly sure) Ken Barker, think his dad was called Les, so don't know if any relation to you.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1957-1962

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I might just mention here aslo that Kevin Hawkins referred to in posts above has passed away aged 71. See 'Family History' thread for more. He was a Silsdener.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Not a Silsdener, actually from Haworth, I too spent the same years at KGGS, leaving early before 6th Form due to disinterest. I did not find my schooldays particularly happy ones but now looking back with great nostalgia I realise those years were a very important part of my life. I am now an avid follower of the Keighley Girls' and Keighley Boys Grammar School page on Facebook where old photos miraculously appear with faces I had long forgotten. I note that Brian Moate is a regular contributor. As far as teachers go there has been a post this last week with a photo of all the teachers we remember, loved or loathed, over the years mentioned, well worth a trip down memory lane.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1963

Current location (optional) Cairns, Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia

Not from Silsden or Haworth but Oakworth but I recollect the walk over to Haworth to the flicks. T'Olduns or T'Newuns. Happy days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-8

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Hope you don’t t mind me joining in . I’ve just come across this after posting in KBGS forum ,so although I was at KGGS a lot earlier than you Julia , names of some teachers familiar of course .
Miss Evans, Miss Wilson (Bill),Miss Crompton, Miss Firth , the 2 Miss Jones, I’m not good on names but faces I don’t forget .
Now what were the gym teachers called ? I can see their faces .One used to take us girls to Keighley swimming baths but because I’d been thrown in at Glusburn baths
( I lived in Cowling)
I was scared to let go of the pipes so I used to ask my mum to write me a note of.excuse .... Miss Gledhill ... it’s just come to me lol , used to say “ you need to see a doctor if you’re always on your period” . Obviously mum put down the same excuse time after time.
To this day I have never learned to swim .
Miss Rawstron I liked , she wore lovely clothes .
The lads from KBGS used to come over to play Rugby on the next field ... was it ?
Imagine this . Once I was on holiday in Spain and round the pool got talking to two couples . It came out the men had been at KBGS at the same time . Peter joked more than once “Oh Yes I remember those navy blue knickers ! “ that would be when were out playing netball ?
We got to be good holiday friends with the four of them .
I think two or three Silsden girls were in my form . One was called Thea ,quite an unusual name I thought .
Happy days ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) KGGS 1947-1953

Current location (optional) Lancashire