www.kbgs.com

KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calling all Silsdeners = ex KGGS and KBGS pupils

As Julia Barker I attended KGGS and my younger brother Chris (J Christopher Barker) KBGS in the 1950s-60s. We lived in Silsden and had attended Silsden County Primary School. My favourite teacher there was Mr E Chester.
Does anyone remember the performance of G & S Pirates of Penzance? Was that wnen the KBGS fire happened and the production had to move to the Girls' School?
KGGS also had its own fire. Not guilty! But it was a fun day off!
Notable teachers of my day were the two Miss Jones sisters, and of course Dr T Berger. She might not have taught us so much of the subject but she gave us a great general education. I went to Perugia with her, when she abandoned us to the local talent, even actively encouraged us. Miss Evans (the Head) visibly hated her. Other notable characters were Miss Crompton ('Crumpets' on her scooter) and the brave minister's daughter who suffered from polio and was in a chair or on sticks, on those dangerously slippery corridors. You could not forget Rita Gunning who took a dislike to me for being too familiar - she had been an ex-pupil. Perhaps other readers can remind us of more staff. After all I was there for 7 years.

I was in the G forms and not considered good enough for the Latin stream, until we combined in the Sixth Form. I now have 3 degrees and am attmepting an MA. Praise be for the Open University! It gave a lot of us a second chance and a brilliantly broad education. I began in 1P. Miss Evans taught us French, when she arrived; she was often busy with admin work and we could hear her heels coming down the long corridors.
More later, I hope! I'd love to hear from contemporaries and/or anymone who remembers me or Chris.
Best Wishes
(from a rising 75-year old)
Julia.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) At KGGS 1955-64

Current location (optional) Garstang, Lancashire / Natland near Kendal

Re: Calling all Silsdeners = ex KGGS and KBGS pupils

I remember the Pirates very well. My good friend Kevin Hawkins as the Major General ( was in touch with him a few years ago), and I think Alan Brooke, a neighbour of ours was Frederick. Not sure about Mabel, but possibly Evelyn Whitaker (whom I once dated) and Judith Sugden would be possibilities. The fire was March 1962 just before I did 'O' levels, we didnt get a week off like those classes not doing public exams that summer. Going back to Kevin , he had a mass of nearly black hair which had to be liberally dosed with talcum powder to make it white. When I saw him more recently its was exactly how it should have been for playing the Major General. Wasn't Kevin from Silsden like you ? (PS I am a relative of Miss Shirley Balmer, later Mrs Twigg, who taught Geography). I wasnt a Silsdener though.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral