KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ‘Nick’ Hind - Sense of Humour

I recall Nick gleefully relating the tale of the Battle of Old Nick's Cross.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Denis, if memory serves I think someone else has told this story on the website before, or maybe I heard it at a reunion meal. However, I would be very surprised if a young lad in those days used the Americanism "soccer" when talking about Association Football.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

So you have heard the story before eh? It could well have been me that told it. I’m afraid that I forget as much as I remember these days. But you could have heard it from several of the Suttoners who were due to play in the same team. Peter Barsby, David Baxter, and Robert Barrett were, I seem to recall, in our team. But you are correct to take me to task re the use of the word ‘soccer’. We called the game ‘football’ in those days. The game played with the oval ball at school was ‘rugger’.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk