KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keighley Girls Grammar School - S. Beryl Jones

Brian R Moate
My late mother was at KGGS approx 1933-38, and that names rings bell as she used to talk a lot about her school days. Latin I think.
I have heard the story of her defending 'Lady C' also but sorry I dont have any details
Dear Mr Moate,

Thank you for your response to my query. Its becoming clear that many remember the Jones sisters fondly from their time at Keighley, and I was pleased to hear of your mother's memories of her time there.

Best wishes,

Claire

Yes, Miss Beryl Jones was very intelligent and full of fun. I was a pupil at KGGS from 1951 to 1959 and remember the Miss Joneses well. Miss Beryl Jones taught me Latin for 4 years. She also taught A level English, though not to me, and I was told that the first essay she set had the title 'Chastity'.She also encouraged the Sixth form to go to university because'that's where the best-looking boys are!)
At that time the school regularly received from the council a print of a well known picture to hang on the wall. When a new one arrived Miss Jones got the whole school to sit on the floor at Assembly and explained the picture to us. The first one was The Old King by Roualt and it made a big impression. It was hung in a form room and a lot of girls went to look at it.
I heard that she became a teacher to support her family so that her younger sisters could be educated.

Current location (optional) Matlock

Dear Mr Pickles,

Thank you for your response. Apologies for the delay - I had anticipated that I would get a notification if someone had responded, and when I didn't I assumed that my request had failed. You can imagine my joy when stumbling upon the site again this evening, I find no less than five! I shall follow your instructions to view the photograph of the Miss Jones immediately.

With many thanks,

Claire

Ruth Graham)
Yes, Miss Beryl Jones was very intelligent and full of fun. I was a pupil at KGGS from 1951 to 1959 and remember the Miss Joneses well. Miss Beryl Jones taught me Latin for 4 years. She also taught A level English, though not to me, and I was told that the first essay she set had the title 'Chastity'.She also encouraged the Sixth form to go to university because'that's where the best-looking boys are!)
At that time the school regularly received from the council a print of a well known picture to hang on the wall. When a new one arrived Miss Jones got the whole school to sit on the floor at Assembly and explained the picture to us. The first one was The Old King by Roualt and it made a big impression. It was hung in a form room and a lot of girls went to look at it.
I heard that she became a teacher to support her family so that her younger sisters could be educated.
Dear Mrs Graham,

Thank your for your response and your memories of Miss Jones. I would love to hear more, if you can spare the time - you can contact me directly on claire.flaypetty@googlemail.com. Thank you.

Sarah Beryl Jones certainly was a witness for Lady Chatterley's Lover. My vey conservative and strict mother went and bought the book and allowed me to read it while going round the Norfolk Broads. I was studying English Literature at KGGS and D H Lawrence was one of our prescribed authors. It is comparitively mild now.
Two of our teachers were Misses Beryl and Peggy Jones. They were very respected teachers and friends of Miss Evans, the Headmistress.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) At KGGS 1955-64

Current location (optional) Garstang, Lancashire / Natland near Kendal

I attended KGGS when both the Jones sisters taught .
I can picture one smiling now , lovely dark hair ,a glowing kind of tanned complexion,wore nice suits .
I was looking in here for the 1951 school photo ,one of which I had but lost along the way .

Can anyone direct me to it .
Many thanks .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) KGGS 1947-195

Current location (optional) Colne