KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Stephen (Steve) Johnson

Although any death is a sad occurrence, when someone younger than you dies then it seems to be so much worse.

From 'The Craven Herald':

JOHNSON Stephen (Steve). On Saturday, May 7th 2016.

Steve passed away peacefully at home surrounded by his family. Darling husband of Sharon, brilliant dad of Angela and Kirsty and fun-loving CBeebies - tolerant granddad of Finey, Mia, Gerry and Eleanor.

Steve was the much-loved son of Joan and the late Harry Johnson and loving brother of Martin, Susan and Harry. A service to celebrate Steve's life will be held at St. Michael and All Angels Church, Linton Falls (near Grassington) on Monday May 23rd at 1.00 p.m., which will of course be followed by drinks and the chance to share happy memories. The cremation will be for immediate family only. No flowers please, if you would like to make a donation to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance or Manorlands Hospice there will be a collection plate at the church or alternatively please send your donation to H.H. Birch & Son Ltd., Nab Wood, Shipley, BBD18 4BG

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Re Arnold Boddy

It is with deep sorrow that I have to inform you that my brother Arnold passed away today following a short illness. He was 79 years old and was at KBGS from 1950-1954. His photo is on the 1st XI in 1953. He is seated at the right hand side. He is also featured on the 1995 reunion photo (1) and photo(2). He worked for Martins Bank and eventually Barclays before retiring. He was then able to put more time into his passion for music. Arnold will be sadly missed.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Re Arnold Boddy

Sorry to hear this sad news, David. I remember your brother as secretary of Charlie Peach's stamp club in the early to mid '50s. I wonder - did he pursue that hobby in later life or, like most of us, retain a vague interest that didn't actually amount to active collecting any more?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Re: Re Arnold Boddy

Thanks Doug he did keep up his stamp collection

Raymond Land 1948 - 2016

To KBGS via Highfield Infants (Mrs Swales' [Reception] Class ) in the summer term of 1952, and then Holycroft Infants and Ingrow County Primary, it is with sadness that I have to report the untimely, but peaceful, death of Raymond (Ray) Land on October 5th 2016. Raymond's cremation Service will take place on Friday, October 21st, at Oakworth Crematorium at 11.30 a.m.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Re: Raymond Land 1948 - 2016

Many thanks to Dave Baldwin for posting news of Ray's death. Ray was a quiet and unassuming person. On leaving KBGS in 1964 he took up a job at Ramsbottom's on Cooke Lane. His heart was set on working for the Ordnance Survey but sadly that was not to be. He remained in the radio/tv/audio world for the whole of his working life. Dave Baldwin, David Boddy, John Ackroyd and I have fond memories of reunion evenings spent together in the Boltmakers' Arms on East Parade where, despite the availability of Landlord and Golden Best, Ray always drank lager. His final years were difficult, especially following the death of his wife Sylvia in 2012. He was good friend, I had known him for 64 years and he will be sadly missed.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1967

Current location (optional) Ebberston, North Yorkshire

Re: Henry Bird

It is with very great sadness that I note the passing of Henry Bird, who first taught me as an eight-year old at Eastwood Junior School, when he was doing his teaching practice from (I think) Bingley Teacher Training College. He then went on to a full-time post at Parkwood, where he remained for several years, certainly teaching my younger brother (by eight years) at that School. He spent several years teaching in the Far East - Singapore and Hong Kong - and it was when I myself was working in Singapore ('65-'67) that I ran into him by sheer chance, at an Amah's market in Serangoon Gardens. We subsequently lost touch again after my return to Britain, but I was delighted to find him and his wife, Beth, at the first of the September KBGS Reunions I attended, in 2007. He and Beth were regular attendees until Henry's ill health prevented their coming last September. He was always a great guy, full of fun and 'stories' and, indeed, what made him very popular as a young teacher was the stories he wrote, and regularly read to us, on a Friday afternoon.

RIP

Doug

Current location (optional) Keswick (Cumbria)

I was sorry to read of the death of Henry Bird. He and I met on rare occasions - usually at the reunion dinners when we always had pleasant conversations. He was a delightful man! Henry had flown in Lancaster bombers and he was interested to know that I had painted a watercolour of the aeroplane in flight for another ex serviceman. He was chuffed when I provided him with a copy! We will miss him.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Never realised that the picture was yours, Denis - they have it framed, in the hall at Ben Rhydding!

Doug

Current location (optional) Keswick (Cumbria)

Re:David Bryan Baldwiin

Sad to report the passing of David Baldwin wo died peacefully at home on the 11th of March, aged 83 years. David, who lived at Long Lee, was at KBGS the same years as myself although in a different Form, and was a Solicitors Clerk during his working life.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Re: Gordon Milne Warin

Sadly also, to report the passing of Gordon Warin of Glusburn, who died peacefully at Beanlands Nursing Home, Sutton, on the 5th of March. Gordon was in the same Form as myself all through our time at School. He was a good cricketer and played with me in the School 1st X1 in 1950.
I spoke to Gordon's wife Marjorie, on reading about his death in the Keighley News, and the subject turned to Frank Wellock, a teacher at the School and a well known local sportsman, who married one of Gordon's cousins. Margerie then mentioned that Frank was also in 'Beanlands'. He is now 94 years old but his memory is 'not very good'. David

Re: Re:David Bryan Baldwiin

Sorry to read about the death of my namesake with whom I spent many a boozy Friday and Saturday night in the Con Club playing thee card brag for 6d stakes.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Re: John Waddington-Feather

It is with great sadness that I receive news of the death of John Waddington-Feather, with whom several of us corresponded over a number of years. Allan Robinson wrote to tell me, this afternoon:

"Ian Dewhirst rang me yesterday to tell me that John Waddington-Feather died last Friday. He had sounded very frail the last time Ian had spoken to him on the phone. I'm not exactly sure how old he was, probably in his mid-eighties, but he was still writing stories, essays and poems almost to the end of his life. An admirable feat considering his life was dependent on dialysis for many years. Ian is writing an obit for the Keighley News. I thought I'd let you know (though you might have already heard) as I gather you corresponded with one another."

Farewell, and RIP John.

Re: John Waddington-Feather

John (Waddy) W-F was a great man who taught me English at KBGS and introduced me to a life-long love for literature, especially Dickens and Conrad to whom I have returned throughout my life. He was a natural born enthusiast who will be remembered for many things, not least his publication The Muse that encouraged many of us to overcome a boyhood shyness to write poetry. Always pupil-focused he never raised his voice or threatened violence and knew when to switch from teaching English to entertaining us with tales of his prowess at boxing and his years of National Service. I wrote to him on many occasions in later life and he never failed to reply with warmth and enthusiasm. A lifelong Christian he was never shy about his faith and work as a prison chaplain in Shrewsbury. There is much I could write about J W-F but he will be remembered with affection by many and sadly missed.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1967

Current location (optional) Ebberston, North Yorkshire

Re: Charles David Thompson

It is with the deepest sadness that I record the sudden death, after a short illness, of my younger brother, Dave, on Tuesday, 27 March, at Loughborough. He was at KBGS from 1960 to '68 and went on to take a degree in European Studies at the University of East Anglia, followed by a Ph.D at Warwick University. From '69 on he made his life in Germany, married and had two daughters, and after several years as Director of Language services for AKSO-Enka in Wuppertal set up his own English Language School. Latterly, he and his wife, Monika, taught at the University of Aachen. Although, to the best of my knowledge, he never posted on this site, he was one of our silent, anonymous readers, almost from its inception.

His funeral will take place at 3.30pm on Friday, 13 April, at Loughborough Crematorium, followed by a Reception and Celebration of his life at the Manor House Hotel, Quorn, Leicestershire. The service will be conducted by his friend from their second year on at School, the Rev.d Phil Atack.

RIP Dave.

Doug,
I was shocked and of course saddened to learn from Phil Atack the other day of Dave's very sudden death.
As you know, we go right back to the early sixties at KBGS and had maintained tentative contact over the years through the obligatory exchange of Christmas cards and occasional 'reunions'. Not wishing to come out with the usual platitudes all I can remember are good experiences of our time especially in the Sixth Form and the various antics which subsequently ensued.
It is so very apposite that Phil (aka Neddy) is officiating and I will endeavour to be at Loughborough on the 13th if possible.
In the meantime please accept both mine and Penny (my wife's) sincere condolences on your most personal of losses.

Dear AG,

Thank you for your kind thoughts, and I do hope you are able to be present on Friday. Dave would certainly have wanted you to be there.

Doug

David (Duggie) McDougall

It is with great sadness that I wish to announce the passing of David McDougall late of Southport, Australia who passed away peacefully on 23rd April 2018.
We were great pals through our years at KBGS but lost contact after leaving. It was decades later that we renewed our friendship, through this very site if I remember correctly, and have been in contact ever since.

Gone far too early, rest easy my dear friend.

Re: Alan Wall

I noticed a name in last week's Keighley News 'obits', which rang a distant bell. Alan Wall, aged 85 years, would have been a year ahead of me at School but was always identified by his wavy ginger hair and small stature. Originally from Haworth and later, Black Hill, I often saw him passing through The Airedale Centre. I seem to recall having played against him at cricket during my younger days, probably against one of the Haworth junior teams. R.I.P. Alan

Current location (optional) KeighleyStill)

Kevin H Hawkins

I have heard on the grapevine (hope its right!) That Kevin Hawkins has passed away of cancer. He was from Silsden, and high flyer, becoming Midlands Area Director of the CBI, a Director of WH Smitb, and later of Safeway. Then he was Director of the government quango 'The Retail Consortium' . I last saw him about 15 yrs ago when he gave a paper on Genetic Modified food at a conference I attended. He was also into acting and music. Some will remember his 'Major General' when doing Pirates of Penzance with KGGS. He sang and played the clarinet.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Kevin H Hawkins

Just to confirm Kevin Hawkins passing is in todays Keighley News

John Brian Womersley

My notice was recently drawn to the reported death of Brian Womersley of Bingley, details of which I later traced on Google. It seems that Brian passed away on the 3rd January, peacefully in hospital. He was 88 years old.
Brian was 3 years ahead of me at School but I met up with him in later years at the Keighley Conservative Club where Brian was a 'leading light', being a sometime Alderman and Councillor at Keighley Town Council. More recently he was Leader of Bradford Council. During his working life he worked for a time, for Keighley Laboratories.
Brian's Funeral service will be held at St Luke's Church, East Morton on Thursday 24th January at 2.00pm, following a private cremation earlier in the day. David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 50

Re: John Brian Womersley

Isn’t it strange how a name can trigger recollections of incidents which happened long ago? I was sure when I read the name Brian Womersley, that he and I had somehow got together at school, even though he was a few years older than myself. Then I remembered! I had purchased from Brian his chemistry set, a collection of flasks, test tubes, glass pipes and rubber tubing, tripods, Bunsen burner, a liebigs condenser ...... the lot! Brian’s sophisticated collection of equipment was going to ensure that I would become Stockdale’s star pupil. Alas that never came to pass. Now I read that he had worked at Keighley Laboratories. I wonder why he disposed of his prize collection? Anyway, it would seem that he made his mark in Local politics. RIP

Re: John Helliwell

The death of a John Rodney Helliwell , aged 75 is reported in todays Keighley News. I am fairly sure he went to KBGS but was 3 years older than me. I remember him as a prefect. Can anyone confirm ?

Brian, John Hellawell (different spelling) went to St Bedes Grammar School. Born and bred in Keighley, he was a well known professional footballer with Bradford City, Rotherham, Darlington and Bradford PA. I am proud to say John was a dear friend who will be sadly missed by a lot of Keighley people. His brother Mike was also a pro footballer, an England international who played with Birmingham City, Sunderland, Huddersfield Town and Peterborough.

Current location (optional) Haworth

Another up-cock Brian.

John is my solicitor and alive and kicking in Silsden!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Warley

OK Dave, as I said in my post I wasn't sure if it was our John Helliwell.

It is with great sadness that I have to report the death of Terry Marston.
I have just received an email from his daughter to that effect.
Currently I have no further information regarding funeral etc.
Though I only met Terry for the first time around ten years ago we hit it off and it felt like I had known him for much longer.
Would have really appreciated more years to enjoy his good company.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I knew Terry Marston for over seventy years. We were always at the same school - Eastwood, Parkwood, then KBGS, he a year younger than me. It was Terry who introduced me to the KBGS biennial (then) Reunions in 2007, and in the middle noughties, having reconnected after almost four decades apart, we had a frequent correspondence, mainly about old times, mutual friends, and memories of Keighley. In those years, we met up on several occasions to enjoy a lunch and reminiscences together, when I still had a base near Hull, and was only 40 or so miles away from him in Lincoln. Terry was, of course, a frequent contributor to threads on this website, with his quirky sense of humour and - though he always denied it - his brilliant recall of people, events and places. I personally very much regret his passing, not least because he has taken a slice of my own life with him, but most of all because he was such a good, decent bloke himself. RIP old mate.

Doug

Re: Barry M Craven

I vaguely remember Margaret Messenger who lived at the far end of the village of Oakworth, from myself. Roughly bisecting the line between our houses was the church.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Re: Family Notices

Not easy reading this thread. I wonder does anyone know the whereabouts of Mike Hopwood? He went on to Cambridge University I think. Went camping and hitch-hiking ( extinct now just about) with him in our last year at school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

would someone in authority plese delete my above post and this one.Many thanks.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

alanb
would someone in authority plese delete my above post and this one.Many thanks.
There isn't anyone "in authority" any more. What's posted stays posted!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Re:Robert Bracken

I have just had a phone-call from Robert Bracken's daughter to tell us that her father has died in hospital from Covid19, following a collapse at home as a result of a bout of pneumonia. He had been suffering from dementia for a year or so, as indeed, has his wife, June, who is now also in hospital, where she too has contracted the Covid virus (as did Robert). Robert was my predecessor as organiser of the KBGS reunions, for many years, and he and June attended several even after he had given up the task of organising, but not in the last seven or so years since he gave up driving, Beverley being rather too far off the map for them to attempt to get to Keighley and back by public transport. Robert was Head Boy at School in, I think, 1946, and I remember there are some photographs of him in the School play for that year, 'Twelfth Night', if ever we could retrieve them! Robert was a schoolteacher, in Essex, I believe, and eventually a headmaster. He was 93. When I still had a house in East Yorkshire I used to call in and see them periodically, always enjoyable visits, but it must be seven or so years since I last saw them, though we always corresponded at Christmas.
RIP Robert.

Doug

Re: Re:Robert Bracken

I’m quite a lot younger than Robert but I do remember him well. He was a prefect and in the upper sixth form in 1945 when I started school. As a small, short trousered eleven year old I recall being amazed at the size of those ‘big boys’ in the 6th form. By the time I’d made it into the 6th form Robert Bracken had long gone and it wasn’t til I started attending the old boys reunion lunches that I met him again and he was still as good looking some 65 years later. But I do have one recollection you might like to hear even though Robert was not personally involved in the story. People who know me will know that I keep myself occupied in retirement by painting. I had been commissioned to paint a house portrait of a detached house in Cononley up the Main Street. It was meant for a person living in Bedford who had relations who had once lived in the village. I planned to do the job whilst up in Keighley for the reunion but it was pouring down. No chance - so I decided to take a photo and work the picture up at home . The obvious place to get the picture was from an elevated yard in the house opposite and permission was given by the householder, a pleasant lady who generously supplied me with coffee cakes and conversation. I told her that I was in the area to attend an old boys reunion at Utley and she immediately told me that her cousin used to organise the event. Small world! The only other thing I remember was that both Robert and the lady (who made great cakes) had Farnhill/Kildwick connections. Sorry to hear that the lad has gone.

Robert Bracken must have been a prefect when I was at KBGS . As a small short trousered lad the sixth formers were way up there with the teachers . I wonder if you ,Denis , could point out Robert on the 1946 panorama of the school . It would be interesting to see if it brings any thing to mind .

Current location (optional) Tasmania

After posting the previous note on R Bracken ,I have had a search and found the photo of the school prefects for 1945-6. R.J.Bracken is the Head Prefect . As there is nowhere to post a photo , the rest of the prefects are ,. FK Whalley. S.W.Dawson J.G.Bancroft L.Helliwell J.G. Holt K.Paver J.Sharp and W.R.Marchbank
Guess not many around now to remember them

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Denis,

Robert was from Kildwick and I remembered him telling me that he always went home for lunch when he was at the School - a feat which seemed well nigh impossible to me! Would you have been able to do that to Sutton and back in what an hour, an hour and a half?

Doug

Re: Stanley Holt

I have had an enquiry from someone who is trying to trace this person who was at KBGS between roughly 1958 and 1965, Does anyone remember him? Does anyone happen to know where he is now?

Doug

Doug, I attended from '58 to '65 and I'm pretty certain that he wasn't in that cohort.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Thanks, Shaun. Apparently he was tall, fair-haired. and a good rugby footballer - possibly played for Keighlians.

Doug

1 2