KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Longevity

David Stowell occasionally posts something on this website. Well, it is his 91st birthday today - I saw the event mentioned on Facebook so I sent him my best wishes and suggested that he might be one of the oldest Old Boys drawing breath. He’s replied to my comment and acknowledged that although he might be one of the oldest Old Boys he is certainly not THE oldest. I says that his brother is 96 yrs old. So who can lay claim to the title Oldest Old Boy? And while we are at it, who is the Youngest Old Boy?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Longevity

Up to 3rd January, 'Spike' Rannard outstripped everyone - having reached his century a month before he died. Though not, strictly speaking, an Old Boy, he was at the School far longer than any of the rest of us (1946-63, I think). Several years ago, there was a posting about one, Arthur Bailey, the former manager of Keighley Co-op Society, who was then 101 or 102 - it's in our archive somewhere, I'm certain. But now, it sounds like Stowell major may well hold the record.

Sad to report, one of our number who might have been in the running - Derrick Birtwhistle, a regular at our annual reunions - passed away on 6 March. I don't have any further details but should have, come tomorrow, when I shall make a fuller posting.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria