KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who caught the train to school?

There was one youth in my class - who's name is lost in the mists of antiquity - that caught the train to Gargrave. I recall he left classes 10 minutes early to do so.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55 - 60

Current location (optional) Harrogate.

Alec Jackson
There was one youth in my class - who\'s name is lost in the mists of antiquity - that caught the train to Gargrave. I recall he left classes 10 minutes early to do so.
I remember a sometime class mate who left early to catch the 4.01? Jim Nuttall? Heading for Barlick.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Tykeland

It could have been Barnoldswick but the name Nutall doesn't ring any bells and in any case it seems you were a couple of years ahead of me so he wouldn't have been in my class anyway.

It was Barnoldswick and I reckoned someone would recognize it as such. Interesting etymology as with all words, particularly of common nouns. I am disappointed that no one I knew seems to be posting except Nobby Dore and Neville? Lumbers occaisonally in the past.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Tykeland

We had a couple of lads in the A Form who came to school by train . They were from Cullingworth and Queensbury . As I remember they were Shuttleworth and Hodgson . That was on the G N line up the hill on the left going to Haworth and through tunnels and across the Viaduct at Cullinworth .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

I travelled from Barnoldswick but the name Nuttall doesn't ring a bell
there were 5 guys including myself Steven Frankland, Ian Blackley,Fred Edwards and Keith Brown

Brian Tomlinson and Ronnie Bracewell also travelled from Barnoldswick but they were a couple of years ahead of us

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-63

Current location (optional) Cawthorne

Keith was in our class and always got to arrive late and leave early!

Don't forget the two posh lads from Gargrave who arrived at Oakbank GS in later years by sports car. They were the sons of a Dales dentist. I can't remember their surname but they were called Peter and Roderick. Both ginger-haired and went to public school before doing their A levels at Oakbank.

Amusingly they sometimes arrived about the time of assembly and could be seen through the huge glass windows in the car park arriving late then rushing off for assembly sitting at the back. Often their dashing green racer was parked next to the humble Minis and Morris Minors of the staff. Much annoyed shuffling on the stage with Joe Watthey looking particularly agitated! Those were the days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-1969

Current location (optional) Deep South