KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keighley Buses

Here it is Brian.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Was there a '19' to Leeming?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 -1966

Current location (optional) Lancing

Yes , you may be right Dave

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

In my time at School, most of the 'fifties, Bus route 1 was Ingrow-Stockbridge AND Utley-Stockbridge. In town, going in the Stockbridge direction, it left from just outside School - well the old Art School actually - and if you went along the B corridor to the Music Room there was an (forbidden) exit which then led up five or six external steps to the bus stand. Handy for those of us who lived down Stockbridge. The buses, I remember, were every ten minutes and this illicit exit from School could get you an extra ten minutes at home at 'dinner' time - which was vital if there happened to be a test match on telly...

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

What was the point of the Osset bus? Did anyone ever go to Ossett? Why were these two great towns linked?

Was it so that people could get out of Ossett?

Who remembers trolley buses starting at Crossflatts? When did they stop running?

I also vaguely remember seeing a khaki bus on the Oakworth,17, route in the 40s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Briggus

The trolly buses started at Cross Flats just after the war . We used to go to Bingley to see the cricket ,they had a team in the Bradford League . We admired the quiet running and speedy acceleration compared to the rotten old buses we had to put up with at the time

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

This site tells the story of the Crossflatts’ trolley buses
https://davidbeilby.zenfolio.com/p42153356

That busty brunette conductress on the Denholme route

The old bus routes are good to visualise. But what about the busty brunette that was mainly conducting on the Denholme route. The sexy conductress could be seen strutting her stuff around the bus station on occasions whilst displaying her uniformed attributes. That D-stream lothario Neville Lumbers claimed to have had brief fling with her on the back seat upstairs on a late night bus to his home village of Denholme. A salacious story to savour back in the day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

Current location (optional) Bingley

Re Buses

A mate of mine at junior school lived on Oakworth Moor, beyond White Hill, alongside a few kids from neighbouring farms and a special Bronte bus was laid on for Oakworth scholars. There was a bus turning space a'top gate on his unmade access lane.

His farm was below the Big Dam and had running water but no electricity but it did have its own energy company - a peat dig.

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Re: Re Buses

With the back access double-deckers it was easy to leg-on and off.

P Lancaster
With the back access double-deckers it was easy to leg-on and off.
...and fall over.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

One day when I was about 16 I was walking round Church Green towards South Street with a mate (could have Been Dave Pamment but I'm not sure). The buses going out of Keighley along South Street would often slow down and stop opposite the end of Church Green. Was there a zebra crossing further up the road? That day a bus did just that and there was a young woman wearing a kilt type skirt leaning against the rail on the platform. She decided to leg off the bus. Somehow her skirt must have become entangled on the rail. As she legged off the skirt didn't, and the bus then took off. She ran off up the road, obviously trying to catch up with the bus at the next stop, covered in confusion ............. and not a lot else. Moral - don't leg off a bus, you can do more that fall over.

Yes Shaun, I have a feeling there was a zebra crossing next to a pub at the bottom of Goulbourne Street?