KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brian Craven

It is with great regret that I have to report the death of Brian Craven. We were in the same first year form (1C)in 1958. He was one of the Queensbury pupils who travelled in every day. Brian and I went our separate ways after 1C when he went into one of the high-flying groups. We got together again a few years back through this Forum, and one of our very special days was when we met Tony Cullingford and his wife on the Severn Valley Railway. Brian worked as a volunteer there after he retired. When he wasn't working in the SVR sheds, he was signalman at Arley signalbox (you can see him in action on this clip: https://vimeo.com/30005489). He maintained an interest in Keighley although he had moved down to the Midlands. He always liked to get his hands on a copy of the Keighley News whenever I had one available.

We were planning our next meeting before he went on holiday. We had hoped to go on the West Somerset Railway, but he sadly died in Seville, when he had a respiratory infection. He was one of those people who (rare these days) was very genuine and he had a dry sense of humour. I am aware that there are a lot of omissions in this brief biography, and would be very glad if anyone could add some more detail.

I always enjoyed his company and find it hard to believe that he is no longer with us.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-63

Current location (optional) Exeter

Re: Brian Craven

Very sad (though it was reported on here a few weeks ago). He died on September 24th (see thread 'a premature death') Brian became a Physics lecturer at Wolverhampton, and I exchanged emails with him from time to time

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral