KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CLASSIC(?) LINES

"Middlin", "Fair ter middlin" and "Livin".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

The language is moving on however much our preference for the tongue of our childhood slips away.
Even BBC announcers use terms such as brovver; bovver. - and the many more egs you can think of - (or listen for).
Is this the end of the inevitable decline of "thorn" - the voiced "th" as in "that" shown in our earlier scripts as Thorn or þorn,.
Þ, þ is a letter in Old English - a voiced "th" which in our (their?) speech is rapidly giving way to "v" and "vv".
Listen out for it - but please - don't use it - not in Keeþley!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Voiced th met its demise centuries ago in Yorkshire, which is why, in Keefley, we allus went to t'flicks on Saturday mornings.

Allan, I've always found the Yorkshire " t' " interesting.
When it's written it always comes out as "t'flicks", "t'shop" etc.
However, if you hear it spoken, the t' is normally added to the previous word, not the subsequent one ,as in "Ah saw 'im gerrin' on ter't bus."
Southerners who try to imitate Yorkshire speech would usually end up saying "I saw him getting on to terbus."
I wonder why poeple trying to write Yorkshire-speak can't see the error.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Surely it's a "glottal stop" It's silent. As in -if you listen carefully, you won't hear it.❔

It is indeed pronounced as a glottal stop and maybe what would be best, in terms of writing it, would be a t with some form of of accent ( I’ve often envisaged a t with a circle on top, like Danish å )...As for placement, Shaun, I think “goin' to t’flicks” is preferable to “goin’ to’t flicks*, as t’ is the definite article of the next word, and the ‘ denotes an abbreviation of the missing “he” in “the”. How did the Brontës write it? Can’t now remember....

The pronunciation is somewhere between tut and tet. How you would write it to accurately explain to someone who has never heard it is anyone's guess.

Just stumbled across this interesting thread. Emily Bronte has Joseph talking about 'pailin t'guilp off t'porridge' in "Wuthering Heights" but I suspect she was merely following (or being made to follow) an already established typographical convention. Perhaps the best way of reproducing the sound orthographically would be to isolate the t' when it precedes a consonant, because there is always a hiatus, however slight, between t' and the following consonant e.g. pailin t' guilp AND off t' porridge, though read aloud it would sound more like 'pailint' guilp' and 'offt' porridge', and maybe that's a better way of reproducing it? But when it comes to the t' before a vowel neither of the above quite works and would need to be amended e.g. he were up ont'horse OR even upont'horse; OR e.g. am thinkint'only thing is...

What do you think?

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

You might be onto something there, Doug. The apostrophe in your stand alone t' acts as an accent to denote the glo t' t' al stop! Scots Gaelic does something similar: Tha mi a' bruidhinn means I talk, or literally Am I at talking. A' is an abbreviation of aig = at. Not many KBGS folk know that. And why should they?

Terry Marston
From Victoria Wood (Dinner Lady)

\\\\\\\" Everywhere in Scotland is spelt.......................

ECCLEFECHAN

and pronounced KIRKCOOBRIE\\\\\\\"

In my day, there were similar problems eg

LORCUM
CALLYDONIAH
BRATFUD
Jwonowt frum t'shop?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Been ower ter Keighley today, went through 'Estbun'. En route passed through 'Lansherbridge'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Brian R Moate
Been ower ter Keighley today, went through \'Estbun\'. En route passed through \'Lansherbridge\'
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know." - Mark Twain

Current location (optional) Tykeland

Peter Lancaster
Brian R Moate
Been ower ter Keighley today, went through \\\\\\\'Estbun\\\\\\\'. En route passed through \\\\\\\'Lansherbridge\\\\\\\'
\"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn\'t know.\" - Mark Twain
mi daddle go airless

Did anyone get their "lug brayed fer laikin' about"?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

I often got mi Lugoyle rattled.

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Alex Jackson
I often got mi Lugoyle rattled.
Has anyone caffled recently? I also know it as tinned. I don't agree with the Urban Dictionary or Merriam Webster's definition. My understanding of the verb is "To give in." Or maybe avoid.

Current location (optional) W Yorks

No but my aunt always threatened to rattle my cousin's jaw.

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Peter Lancaster
No but my aunt always threatened to rattle my cousin\\\\\\\'s jaw.
Catch a falling star. Perry Como

As heard over the Tannoy at the only "Ilkley Sevens" I ever attended.

Current location (optional) Briggus

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Current location (optional) Brighouse