KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lions Tour 2017

As many of our old boys seem to reside in the Land of the Long White Cloud what do they think of the Lions chances during the Tour
Has Gatland made the right choices to give the All Blacks a decent game?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) cumbria

Re: Lions Tour 2017

Very disappointed Joe Launchbury has missed out but I do think the Lions could have a successful tour.

Current location (optional) Oz

Hi young David. You won't remember me I expect, but I was a mate of your big brother Malcolm and played cricket and football with him in Cross Roads in the old days, late 40s early 50s and was in the same team when we won the West Bradford Junior League in Cricket in 1952. I remember you as a little fella in those days in the early 50s before I headed down under in 1954. I missed the arrival yesterday of The Lions team as I was in hospital for a few days but home this morning so I hope to see some rugby on the TV at the weekend. I like the look of what I have read of the Lions team and I have a good regard for Warren Gatland and he knows better than anyone of what he is up against. The AB's are a very good side but need a run.Please give my regards to "wrickle" I walked in on him and surprised him on a visit in 2013. That was nice and we had a reunion of some of the lads from those days. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand (north of Auckland)

Bill Hope NZ is recovering from a drawn series Eden Park was very quiet at the end of the last test
But great rugby from both teams
You do need a goal kicker as he cost you both games
Cheers and all the best from cold and damp Cumbria

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) cumbria

Yes, a good tour and some great rugby!
Overall a good result but I do believe the Ref erred in that final couple of minutes - you are either offside or you ain't, and the Lion was offside.
The off-form Barrett could have sealed the game for the ABs but - we'll never know.

Hi David thanks for this. I have been off line for a week or or two in hospital. Out coming right now thankfully and starting to get interested in life again!Thank you for your posting. Yes I agree with what you say. Generally speaking the feeling is that the tour was a success and the Lions performed to a higher standard than some of our critics expected.I agree with what you say about Barrett. He is a very talented player who has won a few matches by sheer inspiration and genius but his goal kicking lets him down. His younger brother seems to be more consistent but he is just coming through.
Almost every day there appears a new letter in our paper from Lions fans who are back in UK saying how much they enjoyed themselves here and couldn't believe the hospitality. All good to read eh!PS I consider myself fortunate in that I was able to watch the 1971 Lions a couple of times in Wellington. Now they WERE a team. Cheers.

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand

Hi Trevor
He would have been wrong either way, depending on your team. We get this all the time in the Super Rugby with the different interpretations of the Northern Hemisphere refs and the ones down here.
ps I just watched the Cats go down to Adelaide. Spoilt my day. Don't bother opening the Addy tomorrow, that will be all doom and gloom. Haha. Cheers.

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand