KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1995 Reunion organised by Don Mosey

1995 reunion was reported in the Keighley News and held at the R.U.Club.At one time photos appeared on the website. I cannot now find any reference to it on the site. Can anyone help please?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-1955

Re: 1995 Reunion organised by Don Mosey

Julian, The photos are still there! If you go to the Home Page and scroll down to 'Browse all Photos'(click), find 'Reunions' and click on small circle, this will open on the first page, on which you will find two photos and a 'clipping' from the Keighley News, all uploaded by your good self, some years ago. Regards, David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Evening Julian,

And it is great to see that you are still around and hope that you have found your photographs on the 'Reunion' page.

Bryan Mackley is still supporting Keighley (aka 'Cougars') and I will soon become the Secretary of the Grasshopper Pensioner's Club and wonder if you are a Member? It would be great if you would as our Life Membership is a mere £5!

(Sir)Brian Pearse joined the Club a couple of years ago and attends our November London Lunches; it would be great if you could manage to attend also.

Like you, I also worked the Keighley sub-branches at Haworth, Denholme and Oxenhope with Bill Emmott, Sid Otty and Jack Roberts as our guards.

Our membership is declining (for obvious reasons) and any new recruits would most welcome.

If not already a GPC Member, I hope that you will seriously becoming one.

All the best,

David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Hello,Dave,
Would the Sid Otty you knew be the Sid Otty who was the Keighley branch manager of the Telegraph and Argus?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55 - 60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

He certainly was Alec.

After heart problems, he was advised to take exercise, so he did; walking from his Cross Roads home to North Street to perform his guard duties for me at Haworth.

Bob Dewhirst, his son-in-law, also conned me into being the Treasuer for Sid's 'Keighley & District Horticultural & Allotment-Holders' Association' in 1968, when Sid was also President of the Keighley Show, which I held until my departure for 'the south' in 2012. How could I refuse when Sid was my guard?

He was a great bloke and 'Guard' despite his years.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

I worked for the T&A for a couple of years after leaving school and he was my boss. A lovely man and he did walk to and from work(weather permitting) daily. He was fitter than I was.

Pardon my ignorance,Dave but just what were "guard duties"? Some of us were wondering.

Hello Julian,

1995 is a long time ago, but the lads who got together on that occasion did a great thing for the old school and its former pupils. It would be great to see you - and any other of those early stalwarts - at this year's reunion, on 22 September.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria