KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The End is Nigh!

Thanks to the good offices of David Boddy I have received regular photos of the sad demise of what remained of the old school buildings after the fire and the imposition of the 1960's carbuncle frontage marking the final degradation of the sacred site. I understand the reasons put forward by Bradford MDC for demolishing the surviving parts of the old KBGS building. I trust them in promising that the stained glass will be preserved and archived. My sadness is not so much in the destruction of a functional building, nor of the fact that it looks like a bomb site. No, what makes me sad is all that we have lost from our childhoods. My guess is that most people in Keighley neither care nor know that such a cultural icon and part of the town’s landscape has been erased. Saddo that I am I have recently been re-reading Edmund Burke the 18th century philosopher who says that when people lose the memory of tradition and lose sight of a place’s history the culture as we know it will not survive. Since that inherited culture is what holds society together, what hope is there for the future? Forgive the ramblings of an old man. What has been done to our society in the past 50 years is criminal and I wonder what kind of a world our grandchildren will inherit. How many years, I wonder, before the dousing of the light and the day comes when no one is left to remember what Keighley once had in its Grammar School and how that precious experience changed the lives of so many ordinary working-class boys to such good effect?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1967

Current location (optional) Ebberston, North Yorkshire

And all this in a week when government is talking about making available funds for technical education and free schools to offer grammar school education.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Re the stained glass windows , I agree they should be saved in some way.
I also wish some of our 'masters' could have been demolished in the 1960's.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-1965

Current location (optional) bradford

https://www.jigidi.com/jigsaw-puzzle/5H5OQET7/The-old-Grammar-school

One of my interests to help keep the old brain ticking over is an online jigsaw page. It has grown a lot since I started and I try to do a few puzzles a day. Imagine my surprise when I logged on this morning to find the old school demolition as a puzzle submitted by a Keighley lady. I just thought some of you might be interested to have a go. I have found 3 puzzles of the building so far. Enjoy. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa NZ

Thanks Bill, it took me 52 minutes to resurrect the old school

Good one Trevor. I see it is a bit cooler in Geelong this morning! I have just been watching Sky News Australia and the flooding in NSW. How awful. Over 20,000 families evacuated whew! It doesn't bear thinking about.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa NZ