KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Name Dropping

Erics family lived on Malsis Rd at one time. He's a few years younger than me though (Born 1952, mother was a Smith) Failed his 11+ and went to Tech School, but later to Greenhead.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Brian R Moate
Erics family lived on Malsis Rd at one time. He\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a few years younger than me though (Born 1952, mother was a Smith) Failed his 11+ and went to Tech School, but later to Greenhead.
I once encountered Bernie Winters in Scarborough walking dog/s. I gave him that knowing glance.

And Alistair Darling in Brighouse one election time.

For gardeners, I somewhere saw Christopher Lloyd and asked him if he was of that name as I had one of his books.
He said no!

Finally, partly drunk in Keighley, I called out to someone from KGBS by name only for my mate to shush me as it wasn't who I thought it was.

PS How do I remove Brian's post from the top?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Re: Girl. Not Name Dropping

Terry Marston
At a recent visit to Denis Pickles, with whom I have struck a friendship through these columns, we got round to name dropping of known personalities whom we have inadvertently either come across or met.

We swapped a few experiences and wondered if it might prove an awakening for the memories of other KBGS old Boys if we were to open a page on which you can share your experiences, and furthermore amuse.

I’m going to leave the rest to Denis to get this column moving with one of his own anecdotes about meeting a public, sporting or notable personage.

Get us started, Denis
If I could meet you after long years. How would I greet you, with silence or tears? Lord Byron

Have a great and long life, chaps.

P Lancaster
Terry Marston
At a recent visit to Denis Pickles, with whom I have struck a friendship through these columns, we got round to name dropping of known personalities whom we have inadvertently either come across or met.

We swapped a few experiences and wondered if it might prove an awakening for the memories of other KBGS old Boys if we were to open a page on which you can share your experiences, and furthermore amuse.

I’m going to leave the rest to Denis to get this column moving with one of his own anecdotes about meeting a public, sporting or notable personage.

Get us started, Denis
If I could meet you after long years. How would I greet you, with silence or tears? Lord Byron

Have a great and long life, chaps.
Ventured into Lancashire once with a few mates to see Karl Denver in concert.

Ditto into Halifax to see Kathy Kirby: there was only a handful of spectators but she womanfully, put on her show.

Since I have fond memories of Terry, who started this thread, I thought I'd better add to it.
This may mean nothing to you unless you are an aficionado of the acoustic guitar.
A few years ago my wife and I had gone to see a performance by Stefan Grossman (a rather good acoustic guitarist) and we got talking to him afterwards. During the conversation I mentioned John Fahey (another rather good acoustic guitarist whom Grossman had occasionally played with) only to be told that he had died in the operating theatre some months earlier.
I had taken my then teen-aged so to see Fahey at a local club in about 2001/2 and we had been two of only 7 people who had paid to see him. Everyone else there was there for the beer and the other 5 who had paid were practically paralytic.
We had a whole John Fahey concert all to ourselves.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I too miss Terry. I miss his occasional visits to me here in Norfolk when he was on his way back home to Lincoln after visiting his son in Essex. A very clever lad was our Terry. So pleased to have met him as a result of the Old Boy Reunion Luncheon. Will that be held this year? The reunion lunch I mean. I must admit that I have not been paying as much attention to the postings on this web site of late - but seeing that several of you are keeping it going, I thought I’d add another name to the ones I have already mentioned. This time it’s a film star/ TV personality by the name of David Kossoff who I met up with as an artist. He turned up in Southport and joined a group of friends who were exhibiting at the Atkinson Gallery.. He was knocking on a bit when we met. His film roles had dried up and he no longer appeared on TV where he once did the bible slot. But as well as producing art works, he was performing a one man show to highlight the dangers of drug taking. His son Paul Kossoff, a guitarist member of the pop group ‘Free’ had died as a result of an overdose.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

What heartbreak some parents endure.

Denis: nearly 60 years ago, I regularly visited Norwich with a van owning mate who had an aunt in Cossy; on one occasion, the drines were blocked.

Blocked ‘drines’’ are still a problem in the flatlands of East Anglia. The problem stems from the fact that the ‘drines’ do not run downhill as they do in Keighley. That which does flow in the pipes is pumped from place to place by a series of pumping stations and if one gives up the ghost the drines are blocked. I had the same problem only last week!
This site is thinly populated these days. Do you get to the reunion lunches? I cannot recollect our paths ever having crossed!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

In these here hills, it's simple to achieve drain falls of one in 40 or 60 for 4 and 6 inch pipes, respectively.

And yes, I'm disappointed at the dearth of contributors, including from my forms.

Many years ago, I mused that there were too many cars on the road. So, as I had had quite a few "near does", I didn't renew my licence, a Socratic Daimon thing? Living approx 18 miles from Keighley, re-unions aren't easy. Medical problems also play a part.

There's a poem from the Sanskrit that starts: Look to this day for it is life, the very life of life. For yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision.

In my younger days. our vicar left Yorkshire for the incumbency of Taverham, whom I called on once: he was out but I spoke to his wife.

I think Fred Catley was quietly amusing when he remarked that infinitive pouvoir meant, to can.

In the course of my work I have interviewed quite a few public figures. But my favourite was somebody who is now forgotten but enlivened a dull early part of my career.

Back in the mid seventies I was summoned to the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford to interview Dame Margot Fonteyn our leading UK ballerina in the post war years.

I was informed I could enter by the Alhambra stage door and knock on her changing room at the interval. This I did and and she graciously said I might enter and conduct an interview.

She was stark naked when I entered and said I should feel relaxed about this as this was normal backstage at such events when artists were changing between acts. I interviewed her for 20 miuntes most of the time she was naked but I still got the story and the quotes.

Anyway she thanked me for my relaxed attitude and said she thought the Alhambra was a marvellous theatre for such ballet events. Naturally this ex-KBGS laddie was suitably excited by her physicality and at the end skipped into darkest Bradford with a smile on my face.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-70

Current location (optional) Bingley

... and did you find any --- ladies of negotiable virtue ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

No because they only exist in the Labour Party or down Lawkholme or Lumb Lane. As you well know. At a higher level its just get the business done for us ex-KBGS professionals.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-70

Current location (optional) Bingley

Yes, John Fahey, a 'primitive' guitarist he called himself. I have quite a lot of his albums and have learned a few of his tunes. Stefan Grossman too, a very good tutor on YouTube.

For some recent John Fahey interpretations and some wonderful guitars, check out (if you haven’t already), Tony Klassen on YouTube.

Trevor, it was a joy to see your post regarding John Fahey.
Allan and I are not alone then.
I also once encountered John Renbourn when he was playing in the Cloth Hall at Leeds University, not too long before his death.
He had become almost as wide as he was high but amazed me by, at times, sitting cross-legged to play the guitar.

And silly me thinking of Duane Eddy. But how did Chet Atkins measure up?

Yes Allan, Tony Klassen is brilliant - and clearly a big fan of Fahey.
As for Chet Atkins - I wish that I could play as well as he could. He could certainly play much better than he used to demonstrate when I saw him on the TV when I was a young lad. People often played what the public wanted rather than what they were capable of. Some stuff on youtube shows that he could play - somewhere at the top end of the Championship, whereas Fahey, Grossman, Renbourn etc were more like Champions League, and I am Sunday league after 10 pints the night before.
Another name dropping, albeit once removed.
A good friend of mine at university studied philosophy. One holiday she took the train to London and, as she was walking through the train looking for somewhere with a table to sit, she saw an elderly gentleman sitting alone next to a window. It was Bertrand Russell. I was really envious and asked her what they had talked about. She said that she had been too frightened to sit by him and had gone to the next carriage instead.

I'll check out Klassen.
I had a Master Class a few years ago with Martin Carthy (well, there was 1/2 dozen of us) at the Port Fairy Folk Festival
Also, only a few weeks ago we hosted Eleanor McEvoy for a few nights as she attended an International Folk Music Conference in Geelong - lovely lady!!!

'What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.'
After some fifty or sixty repetitions, this remark ceased to amuse me.

Bertrand Russell

Trevor, I went to such a session with Stefan Grossman a number of years ago. His core message to everyone there was to play louder. Sounds simplistic but it really does give body to what even the poorest of us would-be guitar players produce (sadly it doesn't make us pick the correct strings or fret the correct notes. Hey ho.

Re Ding dong,ding dong.

Shaun Pye
Trevor, I went to such a session with Stefan Grossman a number of years ago. His core message to everyone there was to play louder. Sounds simplistic but it really does give body to what even the poorest of us would-be guitar players produce (sadly it doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t make us pick the correct strings or fret the correct notes. Hey ho.
He was known as Holy Joe but I did feel sorry when, in class and the large clock struck, it was mimicked by some scholars when he was looking the other was.

Also, wasn't Cakey Patterson's room the first down the cardbooard corridor?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-8