KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keighley Girls Grammar School - S. Beryl Jones

I'm afraid that I didn't know Miss Jones but I contacted a friend of mine who was at the Girls Grammar School at the time Miss Jones and her sister taught there. She has let me have the following reply which enables one to see what Miss Jones looked like. On this web site, log into 'Photos', click 'Miscellaneous' and scroll down to the panoramic photo of the Girls School taken in 1951.

Looking at the photograph counting from right to left starting with the first teacher after the smart white shirted 6th form girls - Miss Beryl Jones is No. 20 and Miss Peggy Jones is No 22 with Miss Firth, a smaller person sitting between them.

If I have counted correctly, Miss Jones is seated near the middle of the photo just above the 'M' in Grammar School.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

My late mother was at KGGS approx 1933-38, and that names rings bell as she used to talk a lot about her school days. Latin I think.
I have heard the story of her defending 'Lady C' also but sorry I dont have any details

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

My sister writes:

Miss Beryl Jones
I was a pupil, at Keighley Girls' Grammar School, between 1954 and 1961. Miss Beryl Jones and her sister, Peggy, were both members of staff throughout that period. Beryl taught Latin and Peggy taught English. Although they were sisters, they were physically and temperamentally very different; Peggy appeared to be much younger, with long, dark hair and suffered from ill health. She was a quiet and serious lady in contrast to her sister who had a lively personality, rounder features, short, greying hair and a good sense of humour. We believed that the sisters lived together.
Miss Beryl Jones taught Latin to my form and for one year was our form mistress. She was a popular teacher who managed to control and successfully teach a lively group of girls, sometimes regarded as a challenge by other members of staff. We were always greeted with a cheery, “Ave Puellae!” The form rooms had a raised platform, so that the teacher could sit at her desk and easily see all the pupils. My memory is of Miss Beryl Jones, perched above us, owl-like with a twinkle in her eye. She guided us with humour and wisdom and even when she had cause to reprimand us, we felt that, secretly, she was really on our side.
In 1960, Miss Beryl Jones was called to be a witness, for the defence, at the Lady Chatterley trial. She was suddenly elevated to the status of heroine, in our eyes and certainly put our school on the map. How she came to be selected was a mystery. Strangely, nothing was ever said about her absence for the trial, but sometime after the event, a rumour spread around the school that Penguin Books were going to present everyone with the newly published, now legal, copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover. Sure enough, a van load of Penguin books arrived at the school and a display was set up in the library. Imagine our disappointment to find the full range of Penguin classics minus Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Miss Beryl Jones was still teaching when I left in 1961. She must have been close to retiring by then.

Carole Ramsden (nee Jones)
Pupil – Keighley Girls' Grammar School 1954-1961

Yes, Miss Beryl Jones was very intelligent and full of fun. I was a pupil at KGGS from 1951 to 1959 and remember the Miss Joneses well. Miss Beryl Jones taught me Latin for 4 years. She also taught A level English, though not to me, and I was told that the first essay she set had the title 'Chastity'.She also encouraged the Sixth form to go to university because'that's where the best-looking boys are!)
At that time the school regularly received from the council a print of a well known picture to hang on the wall. When a new one arrived Miss Jones got the whole school to sit on the floor at Assembly and explained the picture to us. The first one was The Old King by Roualt and it made a big impression. It was hung in a form room and a lot of girls went to look at it.
I heard that she became a teacher to support her family so that her younger sisters could be educated.

Current location (optional) Matlock

Dear Mr Pickles,

Thank you for your response. Apologies for the delay - I had anticipated that I would get a notification if someone had responded, and when I didn't I assumed that my request had failed. You can imagine my joy when stumbling upon the site again this evening, I find no less than five! I shall follow your instructions to view the photograph of the Miss Jones immediately.

With many thanks,

Claire

Brian R Moate
My late mother was at KGGS approx 1933-38, and that names rings bell as she used to talk a lot about her school days. Latin I think.
I have heard the story of her defending 'Lady C' also but sorry I dont have any details
Dear Mr Moate,

Thank you for your response to my query. Its becoming clear that many remember the Jones sisters fondly from their time at Keighley, and I was pleased to hear of your mother's memories of her time there.

Best wishes,

Claire

Allan Jones
My sister writes:

Miss Beryl Jones
I was a pupil, at Keighley Girls' Grammar School, between 1954 and 1961. Miss Beryl Jones and her sister, Peggy, were both members of staff throughout that period. Beryl taught Latin and Peggy taught English. Although they were sisters, they were physically and temperamentally very different; Peggy appeared to be much younger, with long, dark hair and suffered from ill health. She was a quiet and serious lady in contrast to her sister who had a lively personality, rounder features, short, greying hair and a good sense of humour. We believed that the sisters lived together.
Miss Beryl Jones taught Latin to my form and for one year was our form mistress. She was a popular teacher who managed to control and successfully teach a lively group of girls, sometimes regarded as a challenge by other members of staff. We were always greeted with a cheery, “Ave Puellae!” The form rooms had a raised platform, so that the teacher could sit at her desk and easily see all the pupils. My memory is of Miss Beryl Jones, perched above us, owl-like with a twinkle in her eye. She guided us with humour and wisdom and even when she had cause to reprimand us, we felt that, secretly, she was really on our side.
In 1960, Miss Beryl Jones was called to be a witness, for the defence, at the Lady Chatterley trial. She was suddenly elevated to the status of heroine, in our eyes and certainly put our school on the map. How she came to be selected was a mystery. Strangely, nothing was ever said about her absence for the trial, but sometime after the event, a rumour spread around the school that Penguin Books were going to present everyone with the newly published, now legal, copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover. Sure enough, a van load of Penguin books arrived at the school and a display was set up in the library. Imagine our disappointment to find the full range of Penguin classics minus Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Miss Beryl Jones was still teaching when I left in 1961. She must have been close to retiring by then.

Carole Ramsden (nee Jones)
Pupil – Keighley Girls' Grammar School 1954-1961
Dear Mr Jones,

Thank you very much for taking the time to ask your sister for her memories of the Jones sisters, and indeed to your sister Mrs Ramsden for writing them. Apologies for the delay in responding: as I mentioned in my reply to Professor Thompson, I naively assumed that I would get an email notification should anyone respond, and thought that my search had been fruitless. Should yourself or your sister wish to get in touch I would love to hear more about her time at Keighley and her memories of the Jones sisters. My email address is: claire.flaypetty@googlemail.com. Thank you.

Ruth Graham)
Yes, Miss Beryl Jones was very intelligent and full of fun. I was a pupil at KGGS from 1951 to 1959 and remember the Miss Joneses well. Miss Beryl Jones taught me Latin for 4 years. She also taught A level English, though not to me, and I was told that the first essay she set had the title 'Chastity'.She also encouraged the Sixth form to go to university because'that's where the best-looking boys are!)
At that time the school regularly received from the council a print of a well known picture to hang on the wall. When a new one arrived Miss Jones got the whole school to sit on the floor at Assembly and explained the picture to us. The first one was The Old King by Roualt and it made a big impression. It was hung in a form room and a lot of girls went to look at it.
I heard that she became a teacher to support her family so that her younger sisters could be educated.
Dear Mrs Graham,

Thank your for your response and your memories of Miss Jones. I would love to hear more, if you can spare the time - you can contact me directly on claire.flaypetty@googlemail.com. Thank you.

Sarah Beryl Jones certainly was a witness for Lady Chatterley's Lover. My vey conservative and strict mother went and bought the book and allowed me to read it while going round the Norfolk Broads. I was studying English Literature at KGGS and D H Lawrence was one of our prescribed authors. It is comparitively mild now.
Two of our teachers were Misses Beryl and Peggy Jones. They were very respected teachers and friends of Miss Evans, the Headmistress.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) At KGGS 1955-64

Current location (optional) Garstang, Lancashire / Natland near Kendal

I attended KGGS when both the Jones sisters taught .
I can picture one smiling now , lovely dark hair ,a glowing kind of tanned complexion,wore nice suits .
I was looking in here for the 1951 school photo ,one of which I had but lost along the way .

Can anyone direct me to it .
Many thanks .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) KGGS 1947-195

Current location (optional) Colne