KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Name Dropping

Some nice memories there lads. I too have lots of memories where "name dropping" could be justified. I remember when I answered my phone at work in Wellington,NZ,one morning and the voice at the other end asked "is that you Bill? Norman Kirk here" etc etc. He was the country's Prime Minister yet he made the time to ring me to ask me a question about some shirts he had bought from me the night before. Yes he called me Bill but I never presumed to call him Norman. He was always Mr Kirk to me. At the time though I wondered, how many places in the world would that happen and for it to happen to this lad from Cross Roads was amazing.

I think the funniest incident was when I was returning to Wellington from Auckland one day in the 80s and as I collected my case from the carousel a big bloke alongside me reached over and grabbed his. We made suitable comments and chatted as we walked out to the public area where he was greeted by a bloke known to me. He greeted us both and introduced us saying something like "I see that you have already met." We chatted together as we walked out to the car park and said goodbye etc. The funny part came later that day watching the 6pm news on TV when my new acquaintance from the airport appeared on interview.Both my then teenagers were excited to see this chap and when I mentioned that I had met him that day they were horrified that I hadn't recognised him or got his autograph for them. It was only Lou Ferigno, better know as the Incredible Hulk, and was very popular at the time. I guess I might have recognised him if he had his make up on! Lots more but too many to write about. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand

Who's in a hurry, Bill?

Let 'em go in dribs and drabs when you're ready.

I've got three primeministers but I remember first 2 characters from 60's TV who turned up at our Rag Week, circa 1962.

Hattie Jacques and Benny Lee of Bedtime with Braden. both very approachable, and willing to chat.

Benny Lee mocked my Yorkshire accent and when asked, he confessed to coming from Leeds. I insensitively "dismissed" him as a "Leeds Loiner from the Holy City" and it was only then I recognised his ethnic characteristics.

He laughed. Proper Yorkshire

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

One shouldn't be a "name-dropper". The Queen told me that!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

On a trip to St. Petersburg a couple of years ago we were booked to go on a tour of The Hermitage. Got to the bus and found that we had been beaten to it by just one person, sat down next to her and started chatting.
Discovered later that she was called Valerie Leon. Now the name will probably mean nothing to the great majority of us but she was, in the 1970, the girl in the Hai Karate commercial (to be found on Youtube I'm told) and appeared in one of the Pink Panther films and some Carry Ons too.
Looked pretty good in the 1970s but that's a long time ago now (mind you she looked pretty good in the 1970s too).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

When I floated the idea for this posting, I had expected there would be many entries from Old Boys’ memories. I was wrong.

After all, when I came to count the names ( in the list I had made) of casual encounters, I had accumulated a collection over 30.

Now I’m not a sycophant, nor am I a celeb fanatic. After all, these people, well-known for being well-known, do have private lives and should be visible in the more routine activities of life that we all share. It’s just that we don’t often see them at it.

When I saw notable personalities from the collection below, I eventually started a list which I will share with you.

Let me start with politicians ( including PMs)

Sir Alec Douglas Hume turning up for an election meet in a York street 1966;

Her Thatcherness scurrying for cover as she turned up to meet Lincoln councillors in the Guild Hall

Robin Cooke, crossing the road, near Westminster Bridge, I recognised him and looked in the direction of his companion. Being suited and booted, following an unsuccessful interview at the Home Office, I must have rung a bell with Tony Blair who looked at me and greeted me with “Hi”.

Denis Healey leaving No11

IDS (when party leader) with Kate Adie at the Imperial War Museum 2002

David Blunkett with dog at Kings X concourse

Kenneth Clarke waiting for someone at Nottingham Stn. He saw that I had recognised him and looked quite nervous, time of the troubles in Ulster.

I can hear the yawns from here.

Robin Cooke lived not far from me in Edinburgh and he was often to be seen walking his two scottie dogs. What is it they say about dogs resembling owners? Well they did. One time I was flying home from London and for some reason the airline had put a Jumbo jet on the service, presumably because they needed to deliver it to Edinburgh for a long haul flight to somewhere exotic. Robin Cooke, at the time, had recently lost his position as the MP for Edinburgh Central. He boarded the plane with his assistant and they spent some time selecting a seat from the many available. Somebody at the back of the plane shouted: "Looking for a safe seat, Robin"???

I remember watching George Brown attempting to climb the steps of his (and Johhny Binns') platform in Town Hall Square in 1964.

'P****d as a newt' (to coin a phrase), but an interesting husting.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Airports are obviously a good place to meet people and on a business trip to Auckland one day in the 80s, we lived in Wellington in those days, I went into the gents and stood up at the urinal and someone else stepped up alongside me. As our glances met he smiled and said loudly "Ow you doing sah?" I recognised him right away and replied " welcome to New Zealand Mr King. I hope that you have enjoyed your visit" Still smiling he came back with something like "I sure have sah, it is a lovely place". We both turned away with a smile, washed our hands and he promptly held his hand out to shake mine. A nice moment. It was of course BB King at the end of a concert tour of NZ.
There was also Rolf Harris who I met before he was famous. He came to the department store I worked in in those far off days in the 50s when I was still fairly new down under. He did his painting tricks and flipped the canvas over etc. We shared a table for morning tea with him several times that week and of course we followed his career with great interest. What a great pity he stuffed it up.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand.

I remember the day when, as a skinny, six foot one, 13 stone, fresh faced lad who packed down in the second row for the Keighlians played in a game where one of the wingers on the opposing side was the one and only Billy Boston. We'd drawn against The Royal Signals at Catterick in the first round of the Yorkshire Cup. We didn't make it any further! The Signals 'dumped' us good and proper and Billy Boston, soon to become a legendary player for Wigan Rugby League and Great Britain played no small part in the proceedings. Those were the days when most lads spent two years serving Queen and country doing National Service and of course Billy was doing his.
I often smile when I think of that day. Not because the defeat was a pleasant experience - it wasn't, but because of an incident that happened when the team stopped off on the way home at a pub in Ripon for a drink. The pub had a dance hall where we congregated in our green blazers to impress the local lasses! One of our team came up to me and asked if I would go outside with him - I'd be on a good thing! He had told a girl that he had a bottle of gin asked her to go outside with him for a drink. She agreed but asked if she could bring a friend. The terms were readily agreed and off she went to find her friend whilst we waited outside. She came back with her friend - and introduced a big lad called Fred who held his glass out for a slug of gin. 'B****r Fred', said my mate and back we went inside!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk.

On my windowsill, resplendent in a lovely silver (looking) frame, is a photograph of my wife and I taken in London on the occasion of our visit to the Queen's Garden Party some twenty five years ago. My wife wears a wide brimmed straw hat and a lovely diaphanous yellow dress, looking gorgeous as she always did. I am clad, for the first and last time in my life, in a top hat and tails. The backdrop to the photograph is Buckingham Palace. I cannot with all honesty say that on that particular day, did I 'brush' with Royalty. But I came close. I ate some little sandwiches, I nibbled on first class cakes and mixed with the great and the good, but the closest I managed to get to the Queen was when she passed slowly between two ranks of her subjects lined six deep, pausing to exchange a few words with selected individuals. I was not selected! Nevertheless, it was a memorable day and one which we talked about often.

No, my first real encounter with Royalty came a few years later here in Wisbech. For a couple of years, I had been carrying out voluntary work at the McMillan Centre using my modest skills as a water colourist showing half a dozen patients who attended the day centre, how to produce a painting. The end results were always satisfactory and sometimes the pictures produced were sent to relations across the globe. Anyway, the centre had been enlarged and Prince Charles had accepted an invitation to perform the official opening and to look round. Knowing HRH's keen interest in watercolour painting, the powers that be asked me to run one of my sessions on the day of the opening. The idea was to have the patients working round a big table leaving one seat vacant where Prince Charles could sit and have a go himself if he so wished. The big day came. The patients were busily at work but there were two spare seats, not one. Sadly one of the regulars was too ill to attend that day. Not wishing to be anything other than fully subscribed, the matron drafted in another 'volunteer' who was given a paint brush, paints and a half finished painting and plonked in the vacant seat and told to pretend to be painting. Fine! All went well until Prince Charles arrived and what was the first thing he did? He sat down alongside the 'volunteer', looked at the half finished picture and asked her how long she had been painting, to which she replied, 'About five minutes'. Lots of laughter and the ice was broken. He overstayed his allotted time with us. He didn't paint but he spoke with everyone and he and I enjoyed a conversation about the work I was doing as an art therapist and art in general. He left us with smiles on our faces to visit patients in another room before performing his final task in Wisbech - to declare the extension officially open and be presented to hospital staff and local dignitaries. I was invited to join the group too. Why? Because as a reminder of his visit to Wisbech, he was presented with one of my watercolours. My chest expanded by a full two inches!

Current location (optional) Norfolk

My attempts to get an anecdotal posting going based on “them what I have seen” came to nothing.
So that you may appreciate why I tried to get this going, I am listing below, slightly classified but without anecdotal context, “them what I have seen”........... by chance not appointment:

Broadcasters/ entertainers:
Jonathan Miller; Terry Scott; Frank Bough; Liz Dawn; Frank Carson; Tubby Hayes; Benny Lee; Hatti Jacques; Geoffrey Hughes (Onslow/Twiggy); Lesley Joseph, Linda Robson (Birds of a feather); Humph Lyttelton; Lisa Goddard; Alvin Stardust; Kate Adey.

Sportsmen:
Frank Bruno; David Bairstow; Jack Charlton; Matt Dawson; Billy Boston; Frank McClintock.

Public Figures:
Terry Waite; Fred Jarvis; Doug McEvoy; Richard Branson.

Plus the others earlier mentioned.
Context and circumstance makes the encounters more amusing. I don’t go looking for them – like a locospotter – it is just the happenstance that I find intriguing.

Your posting has just reminded me, Terry.
I encountered David Bairstow at a Summer Fair in a village in North Yorkshire many years ago. You could pay to bowl three balls at him and, if you got him out, you collected a prize. Quite a few little kids seemed to be getting him out so I thought I wouldn't embarrass him by having a go(?). Just commented that these kids seemed to bode well for the future of Yorkshire cricket, and he agreed.

In an attempt to ensure that your labours don't come to nothing, Terry, I'll add another one.
Dave Baldwin's recollections of George Brown at the meeting in Keighley mirror mine.
Then, in 1968, I was en route overland to Turkey with a few friends and we stopped for a few days at Biograd-nu-Moru on the Yugoslav (now Croatian) coast. We were walking on the beach one day around dusk. All the holidaymakers (mostly Yugoslav's from the cities) had left and the beach was virtually deserted with the exception of three middle-aged men walking slowly towards us. My friend Dick, in his lovely Hampshire accent, piped up 'ere that old Yugo looks just loik George Brown. When they got up close the "old Yugo" said good evening and we exchanged a few sentences - it was indeed George Brown. Up close he was the very antithesis of the loud, almost aggressive, character we used to see on TV. Seemed quite gentle and diffident.

Cheers, Shaun.
There must be scores more - unless my expectations are totally wrong.

OK Terry. Here's another one for you.
Around 1970 I sat comfortably on a very thick chinese carpet having tea and biscuits with Baroness Edith Summerskill and her husband (I think he was Dr Jeffrey Samuel). I'd opted for the carpet because we were one chair short.
I was visiting a friend in London and, as we were on our way to meet other friends he asked if we could pop into a house to leave a note for a young Brazilian lady of his acquaintance. She rented a room in the house. Turned out to be a large house in north London and we arrived to find the owners in. They invited us in for tea and biscuits. We had a very pleasant chat for about half an hour or so. When we left my friend enlightened me as to their names. I remember the thickness of the carpet to this day.

Just read that Graham Taylor has died. Sat at the next table to him in a quiet, out of the way, restaurant in Cyprus about 15 years ago. Just exchanged a smile and a nod of recognition (on my part). Hope he was grateful not to have been buttonholed about football for ages. Only 72!

It must be almost thirty years ago now when I was a delegate to a Housing Conference some place in London. I was introduced to a young man who was an elected member of Bradford City Council whose name was Eric Pickles. I was told that he came from Keighley.

Erics family lived on Malsis Rd at one time. He's a few years younger than me though (Born 1952, mother was a Smith) Failed his 11+ and went to Tech School, but later to Greenhead.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Brian R Moate
Erics family lived on Malsis Rd at one time. He\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a few years younger than me though (Born 1952, mother was a Smith) Failed his 11+ and went to Tech School, but later to Greenhead.
I once encountered Bernie Winters in Scarborough walking dog/s. I gave him that knowing glance.

And Alistair Darling in Brighouse one election time.

For gardeners, I somewhere saw Christopher Lloyd and asked him if he was of that name as I had one of his books.
He said no!

Finally, partly drunk in Keighley, I called out to someone from KGBS by name only for my mate to shush me as it wasn't who I thought it was.

PS How do I remove Brian's post from the top?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Re: Girl. Not Name Dropping

Terry Marston
At a recent visit to Denis Pickles, with whom I have struck a friendship through these columns, we got round to name dropping of known personalities whom we have inadvertently either come across or met.

We swapped a few experiences and wondered if it might prove an awakening for the memories of other KBGS old Boys if we were to open a page on which you can share your experiences, and furthermore amuse.

I’m going to leave the rest to Denis to get this column moving with one of his own anecdotes about meeting a public, sporting or notable personage.

Get us started, Denis
If I could meet you after long years. How would I greet you, with silence or tears? Lord Byron

Have a great and long life, chaps.

P Lancaster
Terry Marston
At a recent visit to Denis Pickles, with whom I have struck a friendship through these columns, we got round to name dropping of known personalities whom we have inadvertently either come across or met.

We swapped a few experiences and wondered if it might prove an awakening for the memories of other KBGS old Boys if we were to open a page on which you can share your experiences, and furthermore amuse.

I’m going to leave the rest to Denis to get this column moving with one of his own anecdotes about meeting a public, sporting or notable personage.

Get us started, Denis
If I could meet you after long years. How would I greet you, with silence or tears? Lord Byron

Have a great and long life, chaps.
Ventured into Lancashire once with a few mates to see Karl Denver in concert.

Ditto into Halifax to see Kathy Kirby: there was only a handful of spectators but she womanfully, put on her show.

Since I have fond memories of Terry, who started this thread, I thought I'd better add to it.
This may mean nothing to you unless you are an aficionado of the acoustic guitar.
A few years ago my wife and I had gone to see a performance by Stefan Grossman (a rather good acoustic guitarist) and we got talking to him afterwards. During the conversation I mentioned John Fahey (another rather good acoustic guitarist whom Grossman had occasionally played with) only to be told that he had died in the operating theatre some months earlier.
I had taken my then teen-aged so to see Fahey at a local club in about 2001/2 and we had been two of only 7 people who had paid to see him. Everyone else there was there for the beer and the other 5 who had paid were practically paralytic.
We had a whole John Fahey concert all to ourselves.

I too miss Terry. I miss his occasional visits to me here in Norfolk when he was on his way back home to Lincoln after visiting his son in Essex. A very clever lad was our Terry. So pleased to have met him as a result of the Old Boy Reunion Luncheon. Will that be held this year? The reunion lunch I mean. I must admit that I have not been paying as much attention to the postings on this web site of late - but seeing that several of you are keeping it going, I thought I’d add another name to the ones I have already mentioned. This time it’s a film star/ TV personality by the name of David Kossoff who I met up with as an artist. He turned up in Southport and joined a group of friends who were exhibiting at the Atkinson Gallery.. He was knocking on a bit when we met. His film roles had dried up and he no longer appeared on TV where he once did the bible slot. But as well as producing art works, he was performing a one man show to highlight the dangers of drug taking. His son Paul Kossoff, a guitarist member of the pop group ‘Free’ had died as a result of an overdose.

What heartbreak some parents endure.

Denis: nearly 60 years ago, I regularly visited Norwich with a van owning mate who had an aunt in Cossy; on one occasion, the drines were blocked.

Blocked ‘drines’’ are still a problem in the flatlands of East Anglia. The problem stems from the fact that the ‘drines’ do not run downhill as they do in Keighley. That which does flow in the pipes is pumped from place to place by a series of pumping stations and if one gives up the ghost the drines are blocked. I had the same problem only last week!
This site is thinly populated these days. Do you get to the reunion lunches? I cannot recollect our paths ever having crossed!

In these here hills, it's simple to achieve drain falls of one in 40 or 60 for 4 and 6 inch pipes, respectively.

And yes, I'm disappointed at the dearth of contributors, including from my forms.

Many years ago, I mused that there were too many cars on the road. So, as I had had quite a few "near does", I didn't renew my licence, a Socratic Daimon thing? Living approx 18 miles from Keighley, re-unions aren't easy. Medical problems also play a part.

There's a poem from the Sanskrit that starts: Look to this day for it is life, the very life of life. For yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision.

In my younger days. our vicar left Yorkshire for the incumbency of Taverham, whom I called on once: he was out but I spoke to his wife.

I think Fred Catley was quietly amusing when he remarked that infinitive pouvoir meant, to can.

In the course of my work I have interviewed quite a few public figures. But my favourite was somebody who is now forgotten but enlivened a dull early part of my career.

Back in the mid seventies I was summoned to the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford to interview Dame Margot Fonteyn our leading UK ballerina in the post war years.

I was informed I could enter by the Alhambra stage door and knock on her changing room at the interval. This I did and and she graciously said I might enter and conduct an interview.

She was stark naked when I entered and said I should feel relaxed about this as this was normal backstage at such events when artists were changing between acts. I interviewed her for 20 miuntes most of the time she was naked but I still got the story and the quotes.

Anyway she thanked me for my relaxed attitude and said she thought the Alhambra was a marvellous theatre for such ballet events. Naturally this ex-KBGS laddie was suitably excited by her physicality and at the end skipped into darkest Bradford with a smile on my face.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-70

Current location (optional) Bingley

... and did you find any --- ladies of negotiable virtue ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

No because they only exist in the Labour Party or down Lawkholme or Lumb Lane. As you well know. At a higher level its just get the business done for us ex-KBGS professionals.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-70

Current location (optional) Bingley

Yes, John Fahey, a 'primitive' guitarist he called himself. I have quite a lot of his albums and have learned a few of his tunes. Stefan Grossman too, a very good tutor on YouTube.

For some recent John Fahey interpretations and some wonderful guitars, check out (if you haven’t already), Tony Klassen on YouTube.

Trevor, it was a joy to see your post regarding John Fahey.
Allan and I are not alone then.
I also once encountered John Renbourn when he was playing in the Cloth Hall at Leeds University, not too long before his death.
He had become almost as wide as he was high but amazed me by, at times, sitting cross-legged to play the guitar.

And silly me thinking of Duane Eddy. But how did Chet Atkins measure up?

Yes Allan, Tony Klassen is brilliant - and clearly a big fan of Fahey.
As for Chet Atkins - I wish that I could play as well as he could. He could certainly play much better than he used to demonstrate when I saw him on the TV when I was a young lad. People often played what the public wanted rather than what they were capable of. Some stuff on youtube shows that he could play - somewhere at the top end of the Championship, whereas Fahey, Grossman, Renbourn etc were more like Champions League, and I am Sunday league after 10 pints the night before.
Another name dropping, albeit once removed.
A good friend of mine at university studied philosophy. One holiday she took the train to London and, as she was walking through the train looking for somewhere with a table to sit, she saw an elderly gentleman sitting alone next to a window. It was Bertrand Russell. I was really envious and asked her what they had talked about. She said that she had been too frightened to sit by him and had gone to the next carriage instead.

I'll check out Klassen.
I had a Master Class a few years ago with Martin Carthy (well, there was 1/2 dozen of us) at the Port Fairy Folk Festival
Also, only a few weeks ago we hosted Eleanor McEvoy for a few nights as she attended an International Folk Music Conference in Geelong - lovely lady!!!

'What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.'
After some fifty or sixty repetitions, this remark ceased to amuse me.

Bertrand Russell

Trevor, I went to such a session with Stefan Grossman a number of years ago. His core message to everyone there was to play louder. Sounds simplistic but it really does give body to what even the poorest of us would-be guitar players produce (sadly it doesn't make us pick the correct strings or fret the correct notes. Hey ho.

Re Ding dong,ding dong.

Shaun Pye
Trevor, I went to such a session with Stefan Grossman a number of years ago. His core message to everyone there was to play louder. Sounds simplistic but it really does give body to what even the poorest of us would-be guitar players produce (sadly it doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t make us pick the correct strings or fret the correct notes. Hey ho.
He was known as Holy Joe but I did feel sorry when, in class and the large clock struck, it was mimicked by some scholars when he was looking the other was.

Also, wasn't Cakey Patterson's room the first down the cardbooard corridor?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-8