KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A very, very long shot!!

The site has been a bit quiet lately so I've attached a photograph taken on a KBGS Youth Hosteling trip to the Lake District in 1961 (I think). Title - Lake District 1961.
There's not much to go on, you can see why this is a long shot, but it's the only image I have of that particular event. I have no idea who the 3 boys are but someone may have a clue, someone might even recognise where that particular valley is!
I recall that we walked from Patterdale YH up Helvellyn and across Striding Edge but it was a total disaster as we were enveloped in a soaking fog all the way, there were no spectacular views to be had that day.
I'm pretty sure too that it was during those few days that we heard about Yuri Gagarin being the first astronaut in space, that's how I've managed to determine the year, but again, I'm happy to be corrected - it's a long time ago.
While climbing one peak some lads couldn't go on and decided to sit and wait while the rest of us completed the climb, so a couple of us left our rucksacks with them. Unfortunately my rucksack was allowed to fall down a ravine and for the rest of the trip I was without all my gear.
Imagine my surprise when some time later (weeks/months, can't remember), sitting in class when Watthey brought in my rucksack which had been found, identified and returned to the school, everything intact but some a little water damaged.
The only other participants I can recall being there are Stuart Proctor and James Harding.

Current location (optional) Australia

Re: A very, very long shot!!

I don't know who or where, but it is certainly a fine photograph. Proper rucksacks too! I had one similar that I got at an army surplus store in Low Street. Anyone remember that place? I think it was on the same side of Low Street as the old market, and will have been swept away in the late sixties.

Yes Allan,
I remember that shop and I might have purchased the rucksack there! I did try to get some camouflage gear there but I couldn't find it - haha!

Current location (optional) Australia

The name of the shop was Harry Bairstow's- An army surplus place. Must have been a goldmine.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-1964

Current location (optional) SHIPLEY

Bairstow's indeed! Great shop!