KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reunion 2016

I am hoping to attend this year since I will be back in UK. 17 pounds sounds fine to me but I have got used to high Singapore prices! Anyway, for me the biggest expense will probably be the petrol for driving up from Cambridge.

Re: Reunion 2016

I couldn't agree more Mr Pickles!

Current location (optional) Torquay, Australia

Re: Reunion 2016 -Price comparisons

Just lately got into the habit of taking afternoon tea in local ristorante.
By comparison, Doug's Old Boys' binge is well worth the 17 knicker for choice; volume and quality. Give it a try.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Re: Reunion 2016 -Price comparisons

As my old dad used to say, "A tuppeny pie costs fourpence when you're married".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Re: Annual Reunion 2016

Just a reminder that the next Annual Reunion - the fourteenth in the modern era - is imminent, on Friday 23rd September.

To date, we have 34 paid-up participants, including, I am very pleased to say, Chris Firth, who has done so much to keep the Old Keighlians' community alive and, at times, buzzing, through his creation and maintenance (from Singapore)of the kbgs.com website.

Some 'regulars' have not yet signed up - hence the reminder - information overload and crumbling memories doubtless to blame in varying proportions.

Gill and I look forward to welcoming everyone, old or new participants, on the 23rd.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

....... and another good do. Thanks Doug and Gill.
......... and the food was even better than before.
Anyone who didn't come must put the equivalent Friday in next years diary.
Was it 22nd Doug?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Thanks for that, Shaun, and glad you enjoyed it. I just don't know how Janet manages to produce such a spread for the money we pay. As you know, she hasn't raised the price over the past 3 years. We are very lucky, I think.

NEXT YEAR'S REUNION: Friday, 22ND SEPTEMBER,2017,same time, same place.

...same price?

Bravo, Doug, Gill and Janet.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

I attended my first Reunion, almost 20 years after setting up kbgs.com (my excuse before was that I was living in Singapore). Many thanks to Doug, Gill and in fact everyone who made the effort to attend.

It was a faintly disconcerting but heart-warming experience for me. Virtually all the faces and names were familiar, from photos on the website and from postings, & emails. Yet at the same time it was my first meeting with almost everyone. Like a branch of the family that I knew about but had never met! Certainly by the end of the event I felt I had begun to make new friends.

It was a tribute to the quality and camaraderie of the school that Old Boys are still making an effort to meet after 50 odd years. I would encourage all who missed out this year to try to get to the 2017 Reunion. Inevitably, time is taking its toll.

The food was definitely good value for money. No complaints there (except perhaps I was hoping for a more traditional stodgy suet-based pudding; hard to find such desserts these days).

On the way back my Satnav took me back via Crosshills (completely unplanned). It turned out to be a pleasant reminder of where my father grew up.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1934-1940 (father)

Current location (optional) Near Cambridge

Don't you ever listen, Jackson? Didn't I say that owing to unforeseen extra expenses (Gill and me recruiting in the Antipodes) there will be a slight increase next year - to £70? Pay attention, boy!

Sorry, Sir.

Cheap at twice the price.

Once again Doug and Gil have provided all present with another day to remember. Good venue(as always),good food and good company, though fewer in number than previous years. Ah!- We few, we happy few!
It was also, a pleasure to meet up with our Webmaster, Chris Firth who is now domiciled in the U.K. What a smashing, "fifty-something" young man he turned out to be. I hope he will be regular at future Reunions. He must have some interesting stories to tell us of his time out in Singapore.
So, many thanks once again, to Doug and Gil for the efforts made on our behalf, in 'keeping the show on the road'. Well done!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

It looks as though everything I was going to say has been said. The 2016 Re-Union lunch was a huge success even though numbers were down a bit. But that has been a trend for several years - I suppose it is inevitable that as time goes by the 'raw material' will dry up. Nevertheless, I do hope we can keep the Re-Union operational for a few more years and that I remain able to join in. I am always pleasantly surprised to see lads more senior than myself in attendance - just wish a few more of the immediate post war generation could come along. Thanks Doug!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk