KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OUR SCHOOL

An article in the 'Keighley News' after BDMC has decided to continue with their disrespect for 'Everything Keighley' and 'Our School' (whatever the headline might say).

Please check the article at:

http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/14465927.Campaign_to_save_former_Keighley_College_from_wrecking_ball/

I hope that everyone who reads this 'post' will object to the proposed demolition of yet another part of Keighley's history!

Whatever happens, WE MUST SAVE the stained glass windows on the 'main staircase'.

What can we do as a group of (literally)'Old Boys'?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Re: OUR SCHOOL

Click on "See latest photo" Top of Home Page, for Demolition Notice. David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Why is beyond the wit of today's architects to propose anything other than a concrete and steel and glass box! What a shame if the old building disappears. I know architecture is a subjective thing, but it appears to me that older, stone built buildings are more pleasing to the eye.

I have put in an objection, there is also an FaceBook page being managed by Jan Rotheram......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218899021814999/permalink/221908188180749/?comment_id=222694004768834¬if_t=group_comment_reply¬if_id=1462283968470881

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: OUR SCHOOL- 4TH May-LAST DAY TO POST OBJECTIONS @ BMDC

If you want to put in an objection now is the time.

The Heritage Statement states that the site is of only "moderate Historic significance" but this mainly takes into account it's architectural value. They discount the it's benefit to the aspirations of the town and the people that have been educated there.

Anyway here are the numbers for objections the first to the demolition and the second to the planned new build

16/01334/FUL
16/01333/MAO

Both can be accessed via https://planning.bradford.gov.uk/online-applications/

Current location (optional) Keighley

CHECK THIS LOAD OF TOSH!

https://planning.bradford.gov.uk/online-applications/files/DA92FF70BB4BC781FF9762ACC6264821/pdf/16_01334_FUL-UPDATED_HERITAGE_STATEMENT-4480867.pdf

It's simply been created to pander to BDMC's requirements!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Followed the link but got 'document unavailable for viewing' notice. Anyway, just to say I submitted my objection.

Me too!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

So, it's been approved then.
Rest in pieces.

Some good news at last . Pity that Mrs May wasn't around earlier then we may have had a return of KBGS. I am amazed that there has been no comments to date about this proposed return of the Grammar Schools. Not leftfS wing enough perhaps

Current location (optional) Tasmania

I blame Mrs Thatcher. She closed more grammar schools than any other PM. These damn lefties are everywhere.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I understand it is issues of social mobility that are behind the latest grammar school "debate".
The biggest obstacle to social mobility and advancement has been and is the existence of the schools our mummies and daddies couldn't afford for us.
Their continuing existence doesn't just provide a good start in life - but a continuing connectivity of considerable influence.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

And don't get me started on 'academies'.....

.............. or "free" schools.

What chance they take up Teresa's offer and go Grammar?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Slim to gossamer?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria