KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What was Kissing Friday?

A fascinating account.
It was celebrated when I was at Eastwood - (I actually kissed the teacher! - way before the Everley Brothers) but I don't recall it at KBGS.

Current location (optional) Nirvana

I remember it well at Ingrow Juniors - a half day of great excitement, but don't recall the same enthusiasm at KBGS - probably due to the separation of the 2 sexes at secondary (grammar) level.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 1965

Current location (optional) Embsay nr Skipton

Ian's right, I think. I too remember it at Eastwood, maybe even the year I was at Parkwood (though there I learnt it wasn't just a one day a year privilege, regularly stopping for a peck with my girlfriend under the railway bridge down Strong Close as we walked home). Maybe a good thing we didn't keep up the tradition at KBGS; can't imagine, Terry, you'd have fancied kissing any of those teachers!

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

A nice little piece this, Chris. I read it on my PC before walking down into town this morning and brought the subject up during conversations around the tables in my usual café. I could remember 'Kissing Fridays' during my Eastwood Infant School days, which started in 1939, but not so much during the Junior School years that followed. Other café customers chipped in with 'Winking Thursday' and 'Mucky Saturday'. Thursday needed no explanation but when I asked about 'Mucky Saturday', apparently you went around all day in your old clothes and never washed your hands and face!! Nice!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

You just beat me with this one David. Winking Thursday always preceded Kissing Friday and then followed by Mucky Saturday, when I was at Lees Primary in Cross Roads. This was still in practice through the war Chris, up until at least 1945. Once we moved up to a Boys only school of course it wasn't so relevant. Life was so innocent at Primary school wasn't it. I remember dancing with the girls and sure there was the Hokey cokey, but our favourite dance was "Hands, knees and bumps-a-daisy because you could bump the girls backside, and vice versa, and it was all so much innocent fun. Cheers.

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand

Remember it well . Yes it all had to be over by 12 oclock . Some of them took some catching especially one evacuee from London . She was the niece of Jack Train , the band-leader . The evacuees were a remarkable bunch, we would call them streetwise now , compared to the locals . They tucked there dresses into the tops of there knickers to do the crab and hand stands in the playground . Quite unheard of before they came on the scene.
Was Thursday of that week Mischief night or was that the day before bonfire night

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Mischief night was the night before bonfire night Mike. There were the regulars like "knock-a-door-run" where we tied together a few door handles of adjoining terrace houses and on a signal we would each knock on the door of a house at the same time. Then stood back and enjoyed ourselves laughing at the people trying to open their doors. Putting a cracker/banger through the letter box was a favourite, and another you could only do with a door which had a sneck and not a handle. Then we would place an upturned drawing pin in a dob of cow manure on the sneck and in our imagination could just visualise the next person to enter the house in the dark, pricking their thumb and getting a taste when they sucked it for comfort! Lastly, we might call into the local fish shop and ask how much do they charge for the salt and vinegar they put on the fish and chips. If the owners hadn't realised what night it was they would reply "nothing of course" Our reply was "right then, I'll have a bottle of vinegar and a packet of salt" then run like heck. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand

Mischief Night was the night before bonfire night, Mike, when you paid off old scores with grumpy neighbours, usually with rip-raps in dustbins and bangers through the letter box!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Yes , like Brian S above (we were in same class) I remember chasing girls around the playground at Ingrow Juniors .I always wanted to kiss one in particular, she was called Judith Sugden.

(PS Brian, I have a couple of old photos recently acquired with your good lady Carol on, but I dont have an email for you, I am brian.moate@btinternet.com)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral