KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Floods

Whilst I was chuckling at some of the recent posts I suddenly realised that Doug Thompson lives in Keswick. How did you fare Doug? I hope you avoided a personal disaster.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954 1960

Current location (optional) Embsay, Skipton.

Re: Floods

Thanks for the kind thought, Keith, but we live quite high up out of the town so were not ourselves affected. Many friends were, alas. The low-lying centre of the town was overwhelmed. Of course, Keswick and all the other towns in Cumbria, Lancashire, Yorkshire and Durham are now out of the news but it will take many months for them to get back to anything like normal. Our only two supermarkets will not reopen till March, so provisioning has been, and continues to be, difficult - so you might club together and send us a food parcel!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

We were getting worried for a couple of days there, Doug, imagining you marooned and awaiting rescue. What about Gill's shop? That's fairly near the tide line is it not?

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Gill's shop is also way above the tide line, right at the top of the Main Street, so safe from the rivers which were this time, and back in 2009, the causes of the devastation. However, far from complacent, I am building an ark in my spare time - you never know...

Doug

Doug, you should read "Three Ha'pence a Foot" by Marriot Edgar.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

8.15am Tuesday here in Auckland and forecast a lovely 26c for today. Just watched the early Aussie news and on the sports I heard that the tennis was expected to be a much more comfortable 32c in Melbourne. Then the weather map came up and Adelaide is picked for 40c today. That's warmish-I'll stay in Auckland thanks. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand

And we'll soon be joining you, Bill...

Tell me more, Shaun - Shall need something to read in NZ and Aus.

Doug

Marriott Edgar - writer of "The Lion and Albert", "The BAttle of Hastings" etc.
"Three Ha'pence a Foot" is a good one - about Noah and the Flood.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I'm glad to hear you are ok Doug. We have been away so I'm just catching up. There was a lad I think called Thompson who spent several days on the egg rack at School Camp in the late 1950's. Gilbert was feeding him on a milk only diet which perhaps didn't help the poor lad's symptoms. Would that be you Doug?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954 1960

Current location (optional) Embsay, Skipton.

No, not me, Keith. In fact, I never got to School Camp. There were two Thompsons I knew of in roughly my years ('51-'58), one was Howard, the other, Neil, both coming from Riddlesden, if I'm not mistaken.