KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Harry Milton

Aye well - I've often been considered to be a problem! Particularly by Mrs Shuttleworth -the wife!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1965

Current location (optional) Embsay Nr Skipton

No,no Allan - It was Ben Tren who could easily be diverted to tell tales of his army experiences! (and other totally irrelevant matters to chemistry)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1965

Current location (optional) Embsay Nr Skipton

Thankyou for all of this. Does anyone know if Stuart is still alive? And if so where? Thankyou so much for all your interest and hard work.

Rosemary, I cannot find a Death registration for Stuart, but on the source I am using they only go up to about 2008 or so. He is Stuart H.Milton

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Thankyou Brian. Do you know if Stuart attended KBGS?

I dont know Rosemary, he was 12 years older than me. There are others on here who were nearer to him in vintage. They may know.

I'm pretty certain he went to Bradford Grammar School - certainly not KBGS.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

I am Stuart Milton's daughter. Would be great to be in touch with you.

Current location (optional) Oxford

Hello. Thanks for posting. I hope I got the research above all correct, but I didnt know Stuart as he was a good bit older than me. Your grandad was an excellent French teacher, I had him for several years.

Brian R Moate
Hello. Thanks for posting. I hope I got the research above all correct, but I didnt know Stuart as he was a good bit older than me. Your grandad was an excellent French teacher, I had him for several years.
Thanks Brian for the research. I know nothing about my great-grandparents so it was lovely to learn a bit. And thank you for your kind comments about Harry. That was lovely to hear. I was so fond of him and miss him increasingly as I get older. I am moving up to Yorkshire in the summer, so it's lovely to start making connections. Sally

. Hi, Rosemary.
never had harry blinks [wonder where that name came from] for french but I remember using a text book he had written. a QUINZAINE or something.He was a dedicated educator of the,mostly unwilling.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952/58

Current location (optional) still local. how the town has changed

QUINZAINE rings no bells but the authors of my French text book with green cover were Milton & Fox.

Fred Catley was our master and also mon oncle's teacher at ecole de la nuit. When I visited my uncle, who was housing his sick mother-in-law, he requested I said to her: avez vous ete malade? {missing the acute accents).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Each chapter of Harry’s French course was entitled ‘Quinzaine’ because it was supposed to take you two weeks to study it. Quinzaine means fortnight in French.

Quinzaine

Thanks for this interesting response, Allan.

French wise, what caught my attention a while ago was Jean Paul Sartre's play, NO EXIT.

I bought the French version but true to form, I've mislaid same.

A little more advanced than la plume de ma tante.

Re: Quinzaine

Peter Lancaster
Thanks for this interesting response, Allan.

French wise, what caught my attention a while ago was Jean Paul Sartre\'s play, NO EXIT.

I bought the French version but true to form, I\'ve mislaid same.

A little more advanced than la plume de ma tante.
Eureka! The French title is "Huis clos." Three people who despise each other meet in hell. SPOILER;
Chaos ensues until the trio agree to leave each other alone.

Correction: Except the two women continued bickering.

Well I never...!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate