KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Money

I recently saw a performance of Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution.
In it a character produces two ten pound notes and then a Fiver. The play is set in (I think) 1956.
It struck me that the fiver produced should have been a large white one rather than the small modern one. I think the white fivers went out in 1961.
So I started thinking about money in the 1950s.
I think that farthings were no longer legal tender having been withdrawn in (I think) 1948, though there still seemed to be plenty of them around.
And were there any bank notes around of larger denomination than the fiver. I certainly don't recall seeing any.
And what did things cost in relation to wages, and what would be an equivalent price now?
I remember it being a big splurge when we got 2/6p worth of roast pork for Sunday tea - equivalent would be (I guess) around £5 now.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Old Money

LPs were 36/9d in 1961. Quite pricey i think?

Allan, it must have been after '61. I recall the Golden Guinea LPs from that era - 21s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Yeah Shaun, but these were a cheapo label. Muddy Waters wasn't on Golden Guinea. Probably Russ Conway and Winifred Attwell?

At infants' school we were all given a free presentation set, enclosed in plastic, of the new coins issued at the time of the Queen's coronation. Who still has their set? An early case of quantitative easing?

I remember school dinners costing 2s 1d when I was at Parkwood Junior School, in 1950-51, i.e. 5d a go - the only year I ever partook of the local edu authority's culinary delights; though my recollections on the whole quite positive. Before your time, lads, but what did you pay a decade later?

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

I think they were a bob a day during most of my KBGS days. I remember a price increase from 9d to 10d in the mid fifties almost resulting in civil unrest!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley