KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: KBGS Railway Society and Tony ('Percy') Peart

Dave, On the 1960 photo it might be me in the school blazer. do you think also it may be Brian Shuttleworth beyond me ? Duffel bag might be George Clarkson (RIP).
Of course I wentt on many of these, but I am struggling to remember any specific incidents. I do recall one trip when Billy Biggins didnt turn up at the coach. As I knew where he lived, the coach was driven up to the Exleys and I went with Percy to try to raise him. His head popped out of a bedroom window ''Oh hello , sir, is it today sir ?' expostulated Billy. 'You have 5 mins to get your idle self down here Biggins, or we go without you!' yelled Percy. (PS Billy is still around, Shaun Pye had some contact a while back)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Well, I never thought I would be digging into the memory banks about the Railway Society after all these years! Specific details I can't recall, sadly, but do remember the trip to South Yorkshire sheds when there were some really old engines shedded in that area. I also recall going round the plant at Doncaster when the first diesels were being built there.

My brother Alan (3 years my senior) was usually on the trips too, but we also went to places off our own bat and one day went to Carlisle with Brian Slater. The photo in the trainspotters section of this site of 2 boys standing by the loco Princess Alexandra is one of my prints, showing Brian Slater and me, and taken by Alan.

Now, coming back to the photograph of the Society waiting for the coach to arrive outside school. I have a feeling that I am the boy in the school jacket and horrendous trousers (made by my Mum no doubt from some fabric she got from Keighley market - fashion? What fashion?). Those trousers look remarkably similar to the ones I am wearing in Carlisle, as do the 'hands in pockets' stance and the school blazer. Dave Kinnersley looks ever so smart by comparison.

The duffel bags were de rigueur and were usually filled with jam sandwiches and jubly drinks. I remember on one trip a lad called Greenwood dropped his duffel bag, which smashed his Thermos flask, the contents of which emptied themselves all in the bottom. Wouldn't have fancied his sandwiches that day!

Many years after the Railway Society I was able to meet up with Tony Peart again at a bus rally in Gloucestershire, when he was there with one of his two AEC buses. He didn't seem to have changed a bit, but I had arranged to meet him there, otherwise I doubt if he would have recognised the bald, aging fellow. Both he and Tony Cullingford used to put a lot of time into organising days out, out of school hours. As Brian Craven has said, he and I were able to meet up with Tony Cullingford on the Severn Valley Railway back in the summer. It was a very enjoyable day.

Alan has reminded me that on one occasion Phil Simmons was put in charge of the group as Tony was already over at Doncaster. Phil was one of the prefects and, interestingly, he tells me that now he's retired he spends a lot of time using his bus pass to go to various railway events. So the interest continues for us all over more than 60 years. I enjoy my infrequent meetings with Brian Craven at the SVR, where he runs a signalbox, and my brother Alan and I go to watch the steam specials climbing the Devon banks and the spectacular run along the seafront at Dawlish.

By the way, does the Shoreham resident know that one of the big suppliers of O gauge is based in Shoreham - known as the Stationmaster's Rooms. Google it if you haven't come across him before.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-63

Current location (optional) Exeter

Thanks for the update David.

I always wondered who the other person was. Thanks for confirming their identity.

Before moving 'down south', I used to visit Hellifield and various other points north (on the S & C)accompanied by Peter Wilby (former Head of Geography at KBGS), to whom I introduced the joys of 'live steam', despite it being rather late for him.

I have visited the 'Station Master's Room' website but didn't realise its location. Thanks for that David. However, I now have two 31/2" live steam locomotives. My first being a bit of a mongrel whilst my second is far better - a scale model of the Vale of Rheidol No. 8 (Llewellyn) which is more akin to a 5" loco because of the gauge difference.

Steam lives on throughout the UK in numerous Model Engineering Societies. I only wish that I had their skills to create such intricate working models!

Check our website (I am treasurer of the Worthing & District Society of Model Engineers) at:

www.worthingmodelengineers.co.uk

and you will see what I mean.

I must admit that 'Percy' had a great influence on me and, even recently, I managed to acquire what must have been the last remaining LBSCR cast-iron gas lamp-post in existence (outside preservation) which we (our skilled members, most of whom are in their late 70's/early 80's) have restored to its original condition (albeit in our own colours).

Your comment about your mother making your trousers rings a bell with me also David. My mother fashioned a navy-blue duffel coat for me, with the material sourced from the same location.

'Gus' taught me history in the first form, before he departed for darkest Africa but I'm pleased that he is still around.

Very little decent 'live steam' down here because of 'Gauging Issues' but I manage to get up to Reigate and Redhill to watch whatever comes through there on occasions.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

David,

I hadn't realised that you were Malcolm's brother!

Malcolm mentioned that you had posted a response to mine about Tony but the name simply didn't register as I didn't think that Malcolm had any brothers, let alone two!

Great to hear from you and also to see that you and your brother are both continuing to maintain memories of Keighley's transport history.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 to 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Hello David - Do get my email from Malcolm and then we can communicate with each other. In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures of my O gauge system. No actually, I can't figure out how to do it! Doh! Look forward to hearing from you. Have a look at the Old Bus Photos site, Gallery section - there are lots of photos of my scratch built bus models there, many of them West Yorkshire.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-63

Current location (optional) Exeter