KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Air raid Shelter Under OUR Playgraound!

I have just stumbled across the above-mentioned article which can be found at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2345327/World-War-Two-bomb-shelter-space-scores-people-college-car-park.html

Can any older Old Boys remember it?

Decent colour images.

It's also on the Keighley News website.

As BDMC staff are as clueless as ever I hope that some of us can help them in their quest for knowledge about KBGS.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Re: Air raid Shelter Under OUR Playgraound!

What interests me about the fate of this complex is the following, "What will happen to it in the future?" A green oasis of calm?Multi-storey flats for rent? Owned by the Asian Community?A Car Park.Or will it become a Muslim Education Centre? Sold by C.B.M.C. to our ethnic majority friends for a song . After all they have a story to tell! Haven`t they?

Dave, we had this topic before, if you go to page 5 of these forums you will find 30 posts

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

It would appear from the photographs that the tunnel was at the same depth below schoolyard level as the "bottom corridor" by which we accessed the school via the sloping walkway.

Reasonable to assume that there was once access to the tunnel from this subterranean route and was later blocked off?

There must be some of our contributor old boys who have personal recollection of the shelter. I remem,ber the shelters in the Eastwood Infant School yard (Marlborough Street)were still accessible for several years after the end of the war.I started to attend the nursery section during the war and went to school with my Mickey Mouse gas mask round my neck.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-1960

Current location (optional) Nirvana

We had a few air raid practice sessions when I first started in Sept 43 . We trooped off to the shelter and put on our gas masks but the practices were abandoned early in 1944 as the allies began to get the upper hand leading up to D.Day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43 /46

Current location (optional) TasmaniaPm

Interesting Mike, but where was the access?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 66

Current location (optional) Shoreham by Sea

Well Dave it is 72 yrs ago. I think the entrance was in the tunnel that led from the yard to the school . The ministry in charge must have bricked up the doorway soon after the war ended .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

My gestimation is that the entrance would be facing you as you left the bottom corridor - bogs to the right/stairs to the left,

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Many thanks Mike, Terry,

For your detaied information.

Unlike Brian, I don't have an encyclopedriatric knowledge of the KBGS website and must apologise for my inadequacy.

It's a pity that he didn't advise BDMC and the Daily Mail of their belated discovery!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 66

Current location (optional) Shoreham by Sea

Terry's right about the location of the entrance. You could see the bricked-up doorway exactly where he describes it when we were at school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds