KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Who let the dogs out"!

Children today live in a different World.Cyberspace and the never leave home without an adult being present attitude.Now when I wor a lad I learnt all about being Jack ! by being like the song ,"Who let the dogs out".Simply we all lived in a different age where the outside World was our real learning curve . Never mind School and Chapel/Church .Our teacher`s at K.B.G.S.certainly had their work cut out in trying to Educate us.This forum needs livening up with tales of us lot having "memorable" times with our Master`s.Don`t you think?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Re: "Who let the dogs out"!

Over to you, then, J.F.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-1960

Current location (optional) Nirvana

I can think of 60+ "memories". I`m sure you have plenty unless your life was not as "eventful" as mine!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

OK John.

How about the time that the late 'Jake' (John) Davies, and the also 'late' George Clarkson and I set fire to Bogthorn Moor in September 1959?

We had intended to have a 'small' fire but, as that summer had been one of the driest for years it grew rapidly and once the gorse caught light there was no stopping it!

We all ran along to John's house on Moorlands Avenue from where his mother rang 999. Then back to the scene of our crime. By t his time, the coal tar weatherproofing on the table end of the row of cottages has started to melt and smoke! Shortly afterwards the retained firemen arrived from Haworth in their small engine and started to play their hoses on the houses, just before the owners lynched us.

Then the pre-war Leyland engine from Keighley struggled to the scene with steam gushing from its radiator!

The firemen decided that it would be best left to burn itself out, which it rapidly did.

After a severe 'dressing-down' we decided that we had better return home but never told our parents about the escapade for fear of what they might do to us.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 66

Current location (optional) Shoreham by Sea