KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Motors

Of course Allan. Didn't we all have a fancy for a particular car. Usually because we thought we would look cool driving it and that it would attract "attention".
My fancy was for the MG Midget.
Got one in '78. Long gone now but we got a TF last year. Great fun.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Pity you can't embed pictures in posts, Shaun - I'd have enjoyed a pic of the TF.

Current location (optional) United Kingdom

I remember Shauns first car ! I'll bet no one lse on here ever had one. It was a Borgward Isabella . 1500cc East German car, bench front seat and 3 gear column change. didnt get us very far camping did it Shaun !

My first vehicle was a green Morris Minor Van (1964 model) bought after I graduated in 1968.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Was it that natty little, well rather large estate model, which we used to smell as it was driven down Upper Hird Street Brian?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 66

Current location (optional) Shoreham by Sea

Shauns was quite a big car, but not an estate, and was two tone. You will see pics if you google Borgward. It may have smelled though. Shaun, Bernard Tennant and I went on a camping holiday to Scotland, awful weather so we came back down the M6 and the Borgwards big ends went near Keele.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Mostly corrcet Brian. The Isabella did expire at Keele services and we did visit Edinburgh in it. However it certainly did not smell, not even of oil, which is why the demise of the big ends came as such a surprise.
Don't recall your van. A Ford Anglia springs to mind.
Allan Jones had, as I recall, an MG Magnette.
John Whitley's was a Rover 3 litre with a freewheel facility and no handbrake.
Quite a spectacle when he put it in gear on a hill because of the lack of handbrake and got out to come and have a chat with me.

Was the reason for the lack of a smell of oil due to the lack of oil Shaun - hence the reason for the big end failure?
I remember Moatey's Anglia - we drove in convoy round Redcar tarn once (before the upgrading of the perimeter surface by Bradford MDC, he in his Anglia, me in my much cherished A35.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1965

Current location (optional) Embsay nr Skipton

Thank you, Brian, for confirming that my memory isn't totally shot - an Anglia indeed.

Nice to have memories eh? My first car was a 1938 Morris 14, low slung, 4 doors which opened from the front. Had leather seats, front one was held up by a chain so it could drop back flat when the occasion demanded. The envy of my mates! I was in Aussie then in 1957 and I was 21. It cost me 40 pounds. I wasn't brave enough to take it too far so I didn't have it too long before I could afford an upgrade to a 1950 Morris 6. A big beast with grunt. I kept that for a year or two until 1960 when I bought my first new car a 1960 Hillman Special. I have had decent cars ever since, driving 6 cylinders for most of the last 50 years. Now in retirement we are down to one car and it is a smaller one to suit my wife. I must admit there is a huge difference in my petrol bill but I do miss my Nissan Maxima. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand.