KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yorkshire Association

Chris,
I'm knocking on a bit now and my memory is not what it used to be, but I seem to remember that when I first came down to the flatlands, not too far away from Peterborough in fact, there was a Yorkshire Association active in the area. That would be in the late 1960's. I worked in local government and quite a high proportion of the senior officers were born in Yorkshire - they used to say that they were doing missionary work! I never did join and all the chaps who would have been eligible for membership are no longer with us so I cannot check.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

I moved to Leicester in 1965 Chris and I was encouraged to join "The Society of Yorkshiremen" as it was called by my new boss who was himself a Yorkshireman. It was quite a thriving group and I remember regular meetings after which there would be drinks and a buffet supper. One year we put on a Christmas pantomime. You had to be born in Yorkshire to be a member (like our cricket team in those days) but one of the members was a Lancastrian given special dispensation because he had married a Yorkshire lass. I think it was still in existence when I returned to Yorkshire in 1971.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954 - 1960

Current location (optional) Embsay, Skipton.

Looking through a guide to Peterborough 1976-1977 they have an entry for the Yorkshire Association:

Secretary: Mr B Iredale, 29 Ashcroft Gardens, Tel: 69973