KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yorkshire Association

When my father lived outside Yorkshire he used to attend Yorkshire Association events. I suppose it was a sort of club for expat Yorkshiremen. This would be 1950s up to at least 1970s.

However, googling this phrase returns nothing relevant. So did it die out or was it limited to where we used to live (Peterborough area)?

Re: Yorkshire Association

Chris,
I'm knocking on a bit now and my memory is not what it used to be, but I seem to remember that when I first came down to the flatlands, not too far away from Peterborough in fact, there was a Yorkshire Association active in the area. That would be in the late 1960's. I worked in local government and quite a high proportion of the senior officers were born in Yorkshire - they used to say that they were doing missionary work! I never did join and all the chaps who would have been eligible for membership are no longer with us so I cannot check.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

I moved to Leicester in 1965 Chris and I was encouraged to join "The Society of Yorkshiremen" as it was called by my new boss who was himself a Yorkshireman. It was quite a thriving group and I remember regular meetings after which there would be drinks and a buffet supper. One year we put on a Christmas pantomime. You had to be born in Yorkshire to be a member (like our cricket team in those days) but one of the members was a Lancastrian given special dispensation because he had married a Yorkshire lass. I think it was still in existence when I returned to Yorkshire in 1971.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954 - 1960

Current location (optional) Embsay, Skipton.

Looking through a guide to Peterborough 1976-1977 they have an entry for the Yorkshire Association:

Secretary: Mr B Iredale, 29 Ashcroft Gardens, Tel: 69973