KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re-Union 2015

We now have a date for this year's Reunion at Rose Cottage, all details below.

Doug

REUNION 2015

OLD KEIGHLIANS’ TERCENTENARY REUNION, 2015

The next Old Keighlians’ Annual Reunion, the twelfth since 1995, will be held at the Keighley Rugby Union Football Club House, Skipton Road, Utley, between noon and late afternoon on Friday, 18th September, 2015.

The price of the buffet lunch will be £17 per head, the same as last year.

Wives and partners are, as always, very welcome, as are indeed, and especially, widows of our deceased ex-school-fellows.

I do hope you will be able to be there to meet old friends, and make new friends, on what, we are sure, will be as convivial an occasion as it has always been.

If you happen to be aware of any other Old Boys who may not know about the event could you please put them in touch with me at the address below or at a.d.thompson@hull.ac.uk. Many thanks.

Please send cheques (BEFORE Friday, 11 September, 2014) payable to:

A.D. Thompson

‘Coanwood’, Manor Brow, Keswick, Cumbria, CA12 4AW

With all good wishes, in the meantime,

Doug Thompson

…………………………………………………………………………………….

NAME:

Please delete as applicable.

My wife/partner/other and I wish to attend the Reunion

I enclose a cheque for £________ in payment for ______ buffet lunch(es)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Convivial!When I attended with my K.B.G.S. mates we were not spoken to.I think as, "younger",Grammar School boys we were all made to feel that we were privy to an exclusive club of septuagenarians plus . In my opinion not the way forward if K.B.G.S in this format is to continue.!My friends and I will not be supporting this "event"again.Sorry but it had to be said because as spokesperson for this group we are outraged and belittled. e

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Yes, you wrote the same message eight years ago, just as I was about to take over the organisation of the annual event. I cannot speak for your 'outrageous' treatment whenever it was that you showed up, but I do know that 'convivial occasion' aptly describes the events Gill and I have organised. Not my description but always alluded to in one way or another in the many messages of thanks we receive, unfailingly, after each reunion. Nothing is forever, John, and in eight years you might find some things have indeed changed, so much so that your blast from the past is quite irrelevant to what actually happens. As self-appointed spokesman of a disaffected group (if it exists) you should at least get your facts right! If the Reunions were cliquish then you certainly wouldn't see me there.

So, come and try it, and if you decide it is still not to your liking then I'll stand you the lunch.

Doug

Sorry Doug but I'm one of John's disaffected group. If it wasn't for the fact that I knew the late Wilf Mellor through music I wouldn't have been acknowledged. This is just to let you know that John is not on his own. There were actually five of us attended that particular year.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

You could always turn up and talk amongst yourselves! The scran's not so bad.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Kitchen

Eight years ago, David. New management. You'll be made very welcome.

Doug

I've attended 3 of the KBGS Re-Unions with my wife and I have to say I had no problem at all making conversation with any number of attendees even though they were all several years ahead of me (with the exception of Spike Rannard's son John).
We certainly never felt 'ignored'at all.
We will miss this year's event by one week - bad timing on our part!!!

Current location (optional) Australia

I have written a piece on the tercentenary of the founding of the 'ffree grammer school' in 'Kighley', entitled 'Three Hundred Years On' and it should appear (though maybe not quite as I wrote it) in this coming Thursday's edition of The Keighley News, or next Thursday's, for anyone who is interested.

Doug

An update on the forthcoming reunion which is just under a week away. More than 40 people have signed up to the 'do' and we have had good wishes from members of our expat communities in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore - as well as one from deepest Sussex, a letter from Asa Briggs. Denis Pickles, Doreen Simpson and I shall be showing some of our recent paintings - and if anyone else has any to show, or framed 'art' photographs, then please bring them along. David and Jan will be bringing a small exhibition of old school photographs and Gill and I hope to show a power-point presentation trawling through the 'history' of the School, mainly, of course, from the 'thirties to when it closed its doors.

Greatly looking forward to meeting old friends and several new ones, next Friday.

Doug

Hope you have a good 'do'. Also good you heard fom Asa. My Dad (also still with us) used to swap stamps with him. Sorry I cant get over.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

You missed a really good do Brian. Just got back.
You could have contributed to the presentation when Asa Briggs was mentioned.
Doug had had a nice letter from him.
P.S, Many thanks to the organisers - smooth as clockwork.
The event that is, not Doug.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Another good day (apparently enjoyed by all) with special thanks to Doug and Gill.
Since these meets started I have made the acquaintance - nay friendship - of several old Keighlians - (who were not contemporary scholars with me) - either preceding or post-dating me.

I am sure there are many others with the same experience.

Keep it up, Doug.In the terms of the Longsdon motto - Surge et Fulge

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

For the record...

KBGS TERCENTENARY REUNION GOOD WISHES…

From Lord Briggs of Lewes
As a historian, I know ‘centuries’ better than ‘tercentenaries’, which are very special indeed. I send my warmest greetings to all Old Boys, and I am thrilled to learn that you still stick together. I wish I were with you to say this in person. I know you are living in many different parts of the world, for sure in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore, each of which has figured prominently in my totally unexpected long life… Long life it may be but I think that ‘Spike’ Rannard still outdoes me by a year or two, and presumably without relying on a wheelchair, which is now my main means of conveyance…

Asa Briggs

From Mike Nichols, Sassafras, Tasmania
I would like to say to everyone that I have always been a very proud old boy of KBGS. Although I attended for only three years the basis for a lifetime of learning was laid, even though I didn't appreciate it at the time. Also , through Gilbert Swift and Frank Wellock I learnt to play sport the right way, in the right spirit, to the rules, and that it wasn't winning at all costs that mattered but simply playing the game. That has stuck with me all my life and I shudder at the ‘professional’ fouls committed now and the poor sportsmanship displayed throughout the sporting scene!
The KBGS website has been the key to igniting my interest in the School since my brother discovered it some years ago . A huge thank you to Chris for maintaining the site, which has been quite brilliant in dredging up so many memories of the School, warts and all! Pity that no other members of my year – apart from Arthur Maud – have been able to join in the banter that takes place there. But thanks to all the contributors to the site who have taxed our memories over the years and I hope that today’s reunion is a great success. I remember the two Mary and I have attended with very great pleasure.
Mike Nichols

and again...

It is unfortunate that I will not be in the UK for the tercentenary celebrations this year. I am sure it will be a grand affair. I send on my good wishes to all the people who manage to attend the event and hope it is an enjoyable time together in renewing old acquaintances [and being surprised how much everyone has changed!]. I especially send my greetings to those who were in the same classes as me, and those with whom I played rugby. Thanks also to all the people who have contributed to the organisation of the reunions, as well as the occasional gatherings of KBGS old boys.
Sincerely,
Bruce Grime

From Trevor Pickles, Torquay, Victoria
G'day KBGS! Sorry we are missing the reunion… and by just a few days. Have a great day!
Trevor & Gail Pickles
(currently cruising on the Main and Rhine in Germany)

From Bill Walsh, Auckland, New Zealand
Greetings to you Northerners from Aotearoa, New Zealand - sometimes known as the Land of the Long White Cloud.
I wish you all a happy reunion this weekend and trust that many old friendships will be rekindled. I am sorry that I can't be with you but I will raise a glass to you all on the 18th of September.

Best wishes

Bill Walsh

and last, but by no means least...

From Chris Firth, Singapore

Ah Mun Just Tell Thee…

300 years on for KBGS and 17 years on for kbgs.com. It’s rather poignant to note that one of the first emails from an Old Boy to the website was from the late Tom Punt. The site keeps throwing up pleasant surprises for me and on occasion washes up an OB in Singapore as well.
It’s a cliché but I wish I could be there with you today. Hoping you will be all there for the 2016 Reunion – I may finally make a personal appearance!

Chris Firth

My report of last Friday's Reunion to the 'Keighley News'

Doug

KEIGHLEY BOYS GRAMMAR SCHOOL
TERCENTENARY REUNION

Over forty Old Boys, wives and widows of the former KBGS were present at the School’s annual reunion, which took place at the Keighlians’ club house, Utley, on Friday 18th September, to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the founding of a ‘free grammar school’ in Keighley.
While it is always exciting to meet someone from your own class, or year, whom you haven’t seen in over half a century, it seems to matter very little that you don’t generally do so. It is clear that new and often firm friendships have been established between OBs of quite disparate ages through attendance at these reunions, and one looks forward to renewing them from year to year if distance prevents more regular meetings. One small group that has emerged from the reunions meets once every three weeks for an extended lunch at the ‘Lord Rodney’, while other such friendships entail rather longer journeys to the Antipodes or back from there.
Among those attending this year were nonagenarian George ‘Spike’ Rannard, a former Senior History Master at KBGS; Hugh Binns, a former secretary and president of the long-defunct Old Keighlians’ Association; Henry Bird, an ex-Junior School teacher at Parkwood School and eventually Head Teacher in the Far East and elsewhere in Britain; and Joe McDowell, a former Keighlians RUFC captain and club President.
The sumptuous lunch, prepared by Janet Feather and her team, was preceded by a presentation of a photographic record of the School and its activities between the late nineteen-thirties and the closure of the old school along North Street, in the aftermath of the fire of 1962. A much greater range of photographs and other memorabilia from the start of the twentieth century, provided by Jan Rotheram and David Kirkley of the Keighley Schools Heritage organisation, was available for browsing at leisure throughout the whole event.
Also on display was a quite large exhibition of paintings by Doreen Simpson (widow of A.J, 1951-58), Denis Pickles and Doug Thompson.
Greetings came from OBs in Australia (Mike Nichols, Bruce Grime and Trevor Pickles) and New Zealand (Bill Walsh), as well as from people up and down the country including Duncan Townson, a former prolific opening batsman for Keighley Cricket Club. Asa, Lord Briggs of Lewes, one of the School’s most distinguished OBs and the first Vice-Chancellor of Sussex University, sent his good wishes, as did Chris Firth from Singapore, who initiated and very ably maintains kbgs.com, the old School’s website and, in a very real sense, worldwide lifeline.
At the start of the lunch the Old School, its many memories and the excellent education it provided, was toasted with champagne kindly provided by Allan and Eileen Whalley who, sadly, were not able to make the journey from London, to be present on this occasion.
Old Boys who had passed on during the year were affectionately remembered, notably Arthur Seeley, Derek Lee and Tom Punt, who had all attended recent reunions, and ‘Joe’ Eden, a Kentish man, who was Senior Classics Master at the School during the nineteen-forties and early-fifties.
It has to be confessed that so caught up were we all in our conversations that the by-now traditional group photograph was almost forgotten, and by the time we got round to it many participants had already left – to whom sincerest apologies!
Finally, all being well, the next full reunion will be taking place next September (provisional date, Friday, 23 September, 2016) and if anyone would like more details they are invited to contact Doug Thompson at 017687 44988 or allen.d.thompson100@gmail.com

ATTENDANCE LIST 2015

Binns, Hugh (37-42)
Bird, Henry & Beth (36-42)
Birtwhistle, Derrick (41-46)
Butterfield, Roy (58-65)
Clough, Geoff (48-55)
Collen, David (52-60) & Eve
Ebden, Stuart & Penny (56-63)
Holt, Colin (46-51)