KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Live music

Thanks for that, Terry. The 'Commanders', not the 'Squadronnaires'. The pub at the bottom of Golbourne Street? Would that be the Globe, maybe? Still there, isn't it, whatever its name?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

It was The King's Head, Doug.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

You are right Brian. Ernest Clewer is alive but perhaps not kicking. He made front page in the Keighley News today for having to wait two hours for an ambulance after falling and breaking his hip. He got a new hip the following day.The report does mention that he was "a former semi-professional trumpeter".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954 - 1960

Current location (optional) Embsay, Skipton.

My brother Arnold (ex KBGS)played piano with the Ambassadors. BobPickles played clarinet. His daughter (ex KGGS) became an excellent flautist playing with many professional outfits. Albert Cowling a relation of Alan Cowling (ex KBGS) played drums. Jack Feather - Sax and Jack Nicholson - Bass.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Do you know,David, where Bob Sugden's dad fitted in? I know he was an Ambassador. Bob (Zog) started on clarinet and graduated to tenor sax.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

You forgot Billy Taylor, David, from Cross Roads. I think he also played sax from memory. Bobby Pickles was band leader of the Ambassadors, lived at Haworth and worked at the Gas Board. On my last Saturday night in England in January 1954 at the Cross Roads Cons, Bobby announced that as this was Billy Walsh's last dance in Cross Roads before emigrating to Australia, we are going to play a dance especially for Billy, "Walking my Baby back home" First and last time that has happened for me. Billy Taylor's family were neighbours of ours in Cross Roads and I had known them all my life. His dad Maurice was a founder partner of the Bronte Bus Co with Mr Snaith but opted out when they moved from Cross Roads to Haworth.
Of the Big Bands to visit Keighley in the 40s and 50s, arguably the most popular was The Saints. I could never afford to go at my young age, but I well remember them at the top of the posters around the place.
I made up for it in future years and have seen many of the big bands which came down under over the next 20-30 years. I think that Ted Heath was the first I saw with vocalist Lita Rosa-I fell in love with her! Acker, Kenny Ball were favourites but in 1964 I fulfilled a dream, I saw Lois Armstrong, live in Wellington with his All stars. It cost me over a weeks wages but worth every penny. I still have the programme! Just about three weeks ago we were doing some Christmas shopping and while my wife was in the womens area, I filled in the time browsing in the bargain dvd bin. Lo and behold I found a DVD made in Sydney in 1964 of Louis and his boys. It is in black and white. Believe it or not the price was reduced to $4.95. Bill had to have to have it so went to the checkout and they said that the price was wrong, it was now $2.95! Christmas came early for Bill. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

Yes David, I remember Bob Pickles, clarinetist, and his daughter Jane on Flute. They lived in Exley Rd a few doors from my Uncle Fred in Exley Cresc. We met at their house once and played a Mozart Trio for Clarinet, Viola and Piano . I also once played with Jane - a flute/organ piece at Lund Park Methodist Church.I remember her going off to play with the National Youth Orchestra.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Hi Terry. I don't recall a Sugden in the Ambassadors but I'll try and find out.

Terry
There was a Bobby Sugden in the Ambassadords.
He was one of the piano players

Thanks for your researches, David.
His son, Robert (alias Zog) was in the same form as me from Year 1 to 6th form. They were an Oakworth family as I believe and Dad was employed with the local gas co. Zog went on to Sheffield (?) University.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

What do want if you don't want money? Saw Adam Faith (with you Allan?) at the Essoldo (?),saw Long J Baldry at Ilkley blues, and I seem to remember seeing The Rolling Stones there :all I recall is Not Fade Away, or I'm imagining it.Blimey, that's a long time ago. I think " Dylan at Keighley " will be his next Bootleg Series fronm the archives. Ahhhhhh've beeeeen a moonshineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer for many a long yeaaaaaaar, spent all my money on whiskyyyyyyyy and beeeeeeeeer.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958=64

Adam Faith! Yes! Had forgotten about him. The Stones were at a dance hall in Burnley, I think....The only Dylan I remember from Keighley days was the Magic Roundabout one....

The Stones appreared at Nelson Imperial Ballroom. On the same bill that night were the Nomads from Keighley. The Nomads were also booked to play at Nelson on the same bill as the Beatles. Unfortunately it was at the time that Beatlemania erupted and the gig had to be cancelled.

Yes, must've been Nelson, not Burnley. I do remember it was a ballroom and it was packed. From the back of the hall you could see very little apart from Mick's upper lip.

Jimi Hendrix at the Troutbeck Hotel, Ilkley, just before Purple Haze had us all 'acting funny, but don't know why'! And of course, all those London R&B bands at Bingley College of Education, when the chaps were not busy chasing the skirts...

Hendrix played the Troutbeck! Missed that one!

Check the T&A archives for a more in depth report. Including some Keighley girls who had it away with Jimi and the Experience!!! According to the lead groupie.

Also I think the gig was shortened by an intemperate police intervention.