KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keighley RLFC

I understand that Barrow are dragging their feet about the actual wording for the Agenda items for the 'EGM', however, the Club have managed to have the matter added to the Agenda for the RFL's AGM which is being held tomorrow afternoon.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 66

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Readers of this thread will be saddened to learn of the passing of Terry Hollindrake who, throughout the nineteen-fifties, was a high scoring,very popular member of the Keighley RLFC team. In '55 he became the first (and possibly only) home-grown international Keighley produced, playing against New Zealand in the final test of the series, at Headingley. I saw that match on a very damp, miserable day, and it was an equally miserable day for Hollindrake who only touched the ball about three times, being consistently ignored by his centre partner, Lewis Jones.

Hollindrake, at the age of 19, in his first full season (1953), perhaps more importantly had the honour of scoring a couple of tries against formidable Wigan at Lawkholme Lane when Keighley beat them for the first (and possibly only) time in their history. I think I am right in saying (it's a long time ago!) that that was Keighley's best season ever in the days when the League was still all one. They lost their first six or seven games but then signed scrum half, Dai Jenkins (from Leeds, was it?), who proved to be the perfect partner for Mel DeLloyd - they developed a phenomenal understanding, and were deadly from scrimmages anywhere near their opponents try line. Their style seemed to wake up prop forward, Chris Brereton, known as an intelligent but rather lazy player, and the three of them seemed to galvanize the rest of the team, and they hardly lost a match the rest of the season.

Terry was not an OB of KBGS but attended Eastwood School and may well be remembered there by our Seeley brothers, and others. The funeral will take place on Friday, 13 February, at Keighley Shared Church (is that the former Parish Church?), at Church Green.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Terry was a great player who returned to play his first Club in the late 60's and still had his old magic.

I remember asking him about his ony international game at Headingley to which he gave an interesting response:

He caught the train from Keighley to Kirkstall and walked up the hill to the ground with his boots in a brown paper carrier-bag. He was not recognised as a player at the 'Players' Gate' and had to pay at a turnstile to even get into the ground. Once inside he made his way to the changing rooms where he was completely ignored by his (so-called) fellow-players, who seemed to resent his selection, which was also the case on the pitch.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Attended Terry Hollindrake's funeral on Friday. A full house gave a great man a wonderful send off. Terry's granddaughter Brogan sang a wonderful, tearful rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. He would have very proud.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) Keighley