KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Your first crush

Well done! Probably the one who got married in Keighley then, Brian. Lucky old Christopher!

Brian, it looks like you are now running a general service for the community, and one which gives an added dimension to our 'confessions' - mine is imminent... I had two first girl friends, couldn't make up my mind which one, and they were Joan Mitchell (6 November 1939, I think) and Jennifer Moss. The problem was resolved for me because Jennifer's parents moved elsewhere, and she was lost forever. My thing with Joan went on (and off, and on, and off) until I was around 14. She was still at KGGS but then, I think, left before taking GCEs. Curious to know what happened to them... but also to my best friend at KBGS (and Parkwood), Tony (Anthony) Barker (January 1940, I think), whom I've been hoping to find for years... Can you help? If not by looking them up yourself, by pointing me to the source of the information you've already provided for other friends in this thread.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Joan Mitchell born Keighley December 1939, mothers maiden name Croft. There are a few Joan Mitchells but the only one who married in Keighley was in 1957 (would have been aged 17) to a Malcolm Webb. Cant find a death so probably still alive.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Doug , cannot find a Jennifer Moss born in or around Keighley, in 1937-1941 period. Will look for your friend now.

Anthony Barker born Dec 1939 mothers maiden name Morton. Only marriage I can relate to him however is in 1981 (seems a bit late!) to an Ann Nesbitt. Cannot find a birth for Ann in Keighley area either. Found James Nesbitt born 1982 Leeds, with mothers maiden name Nesbitt, so he could have been a son.

Hello Doug. The name Joan Mitchell, rang a not-too-distant bell with me and one phone call by me confirmed that the now Joan Webb, is still very much alive and still living in Keighley. Joan was the middle daughter of three, whose father was Harry Mitchell, who had a bakery on Bradford Rd, 'Beeches', opposite the top end of Victoria Park. Her youngest sister, Phyllis, married a man called Barrie Myers who had a 'foam rubber' business in the same 'old mill yard' as my own business when I first started in 1980, and I am still in touch with him. I have spoken with Phyllis this evening and she confirmed the d.o.b. and the married surname. So, Doug, there we are! What a small world! David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Nice to know my research was accurate
On a general point as I have an ongoing Ancestry subscription, I would be happy to any look ups for anyone, provided I am not inundated !

Many thanks Brian, and you too, David. The details you both provided were spot on. Again curiosity, but did Phyllis (whom I remember as a bespectacled 10 year-old) mention whether Rita, the oldest sister, was still alive, David?
I spent many cold, uncomfortable hours, hanging around the back door of that bakery, hoping that Joan might appear, even if just for a moment. I'd grown out of that sort of idolatry, however, by the time I got to 11!

Thanks, Brian.

Your assiduity does you proud.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Doug, Rita Mitchell b 1937, married Kenneth Narey in 1957. Cannot find any death entry for her. Kenneth was the son of John Narey (b 1915), who is my first cousin once removed. John was the son of my grandfathers sister. So I am distantly related to your Phyllis !!

The world is definitely getting smaller, Brian! Having barely thought about Keighley for most of my adult life, I'm still quite bewildered to find that for the last ten years or so it has surprisingly moved back centre stage, as memory, but also as a place I am in or passing through more than just a few times each year. I have no intention of trying to contact any of these people - other than Tony Barker, if only I can locate him - but there is a curious sense of satisfaction at knowing that these people, who were so important in one's life at sometime or other, are still around. God knows why it should be so!

Once again, very many thanks.

doug

Doug,

Newly added photograph in the miscellaneous section.
Go to page 3 and look at the 2nd photograph down

APPLES FROM CANADA !!
Several young ladies on the righthand side of the back row.

DO YOU RECALL THE 3rd FROM THE RIGHT BY ANY CHANCE ??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-1955

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Thanks, Derek, but I too still have that photograph! But, didn't you, at one time, also have an interest in JM? Come on, now, confess!

Doug

Never mind the girls. Check out some of the villains in short pants. There were a fair few of those (my senior) I kept the right side of.

Coincidentally, we had relatives on the Marston side who had emigrated to Canada in the depression and for a few years sent us a box of apples around Christmas in the '40s.

Like Eric Redman, Colin Murray and Walter Nixon, for example, Terry? So did I...

Did you miss or omit Derek Newiss, Doug? - or were you demonstrating the better part of valour?

Well, as you know, Terry, he's still very much around, so discretion, yes...

Doug

Re the Ancestry business. Don't know why I didn't think of this before, I have the Complete Census Discs for Yorkshire for the years 1841--1851--1861--1871--and 1891. The 1881 is available on line courtesy the Latter day Saints .
Now ,within reason, I will look up any info for any one who can supply a few details like approx dates and addresses . Might be useful to some one .

Current location (optional) Tasmania

The link referred to by Mike is http://www.familysearch.org
This is a free site. I also repeat my willingness to look up anything on Ancestry.Com, whether a census, birth/marriage/death, parish record , military record(WW1, Boer War), criminalrecord etc etc

Hi Doug, You asked about Rita, the eldest of the three Mitchell sisters, and I'm pleased to confirm that she also is very much alive and well and living in Brittany, France. David

Hi David, good to hear - is she still with husband Kenneth Narey (a distant cousin of mine) see earlier post.

Once again, very many thanks, David and Brian.

Doug

I started very early - I recall having a crush on a female teacher at Ingrow Junior School. The only thing I can remember is that she had what appeared to be a vaccination scar on one arm. This must have been in the early 50's.
I was also very fond of 2 other girls at Junior School - Diane Hardisty and Shirley Cavanagh (spelling?). I was pretty cool even then, I remember buying them a bag of sweets each from the shop at the bottom of Lawnswood Road as they walked home past my house.
In reality, my first 'adult' crush was Margaret Coppen who lived in Carlby Grove,
and it was wonderful to catch up with her and her husband at the end of 2000 when we had dinner at the home of a mutual friend..

To Brian and Doug. Regarding Rita; I am informed that Rita is no longer 'with' Ken Narey, a union which ended some years ago. She lives in a the small village of Laz in Brittany, with another member of the Myers family, Barrie's youngest brother, Christopher!! I learned this information from yet another of the Myers' family, a brother named Malcolm. The world gets smaller still!

For Trevor, Diane S Hardisty, b Keighley Sept 1945, married Tom Copperwaite 1965
Shirley Kavanagh (with a K) born Keighley March 1945, married Michael Shaw 1969.
Margaret Coppen b Keighley Sept 1947, married Alan Lindh 1967

I do remember some Coppens. I was born March 1947. There was also alad called Kavanagh in my year at Ingrow Juniors

Well I'll be dickle dockled!
So Tommy did marry Diane after all - he was a good mate of mine, as were all the Copperwaites, I think Tommy was the youngest but boy, was he hard case or what? Good to have him on my side. I could tell you a couple of good tales about Tommy but I'd like to know if he's still around or not first. I'm in Australia but I do visit!!

As for Margaret, we had dinner with her and her husband, Clive Boston, at the home of Fred & Dorothy Drake, they lived a couple of doors away. Another close neighbour was Paul Sugden who also visited us that evening. He had really aged and I believe he passed away shortly after following a battle with throat cancer.

Trevor, yes Margaret Lindh (nee Coppen) married Clive S Boston in 1975 in Keighley. First marriage musn't have worked out. Cant find a death for Alan Lindh.

Think I knew Paul Sugden, Had a cousin called Judith who was in my class at Ingrow Juniors. She also had an elder brother. I quite liked Judith . She married Richard Tillotson.

Wow. All these names coming to the surface after all these years.
I'd forgotten Clive Boston. He was a friend for a while at kbgs. Lived near the chip shop at the bottom of Victoria Road.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Ah yes Shaun, he rings a bell now, we always preferred that F & C run by Mr and Mrs Emsley who lived in Malsis Rd.

Didn't know (or don't remember!) any of these people myself, but that lass Shirley must have been really smitten to wed a bloke called Shaw. The ultimate in alliterative names or what?!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley