KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Percy Appleyard

Received this query the other day:

I am researching the life of my great uncle Percy Appleyard. He was born in Keighley in 1871 and I believe he attended Keighley Boys’ Grammar School. He moved from the UK to Australia about 1900 but may have visited his old school after 1920.
Percy died in 1943 and in his will he established 2 prizes – the Sarah M Appleyard and the Mary Appleyard prizes – as well as some money for a scholarship and the general running of the school.
I would be extremely grateful for any information you can provide about Percy and his legacy to the school. With kind regards Jan Lord.

Couldn't find much in the archives except that the two prizes were first awarded in 1945-46 and were described as “endowed by Mr Percy Appleyard, F.L.S., F.R.G.S., an Old Boy of the School, in memory of his mother” and “in memory of his sister” respectively.

The School Reports do not say what the prizes were awarded for; did anyone ever win one or know what they were for?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54-59

Current location (optional) Denholme