KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keighlians/The Keighlian

Spot on Gareth. Always Keelian in my time.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Gareth, you are both a Keelian and a Denummer.
Me - I am a Keelian and a Keighley'un.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Thanks Bill, I was hoping I'd get a reply from someone from the 40s. Terry and I from the 50s always said [keelian] but I recently came across a couple of references in back-numbers of "The Keighlian" which made me think it maybe wasn't always so. First in a bad (but surely one of the earliest) knock-knock joke(s) contributed to the magazine in March 1937:

Knock! Knock!
Who's there?
Keith.
Keith who?
Keighlian.

Then, in the report of an Annual Re-union Dinner which took place on Thursday the 11th of January 1945, the chief guest Mr Wilson Midgley, "a distinguished old boy, now Editor of "John o' London's Weekly", but also one of the founders and original editors of THE KEIGHLIAN", "insisted that its title...should be pronounced correctly. There was a tendency, so he had been told, to say the word without the "th" before the "l". This was regrettable . After all, it was derived from the word "Keighley" and it should be given the same respect."

Can anyone else throw any earlier light on this? Midgley surely had a point. After all we laugh at foreigners who pronounce Keighley [keely]!

By the way, Midgley's obituary reads: "Mr. Wilson Midgley (1887-1954), who is said to have introduced cross word puzzles into Britain from America died at Beckenham, Kent, yesterday, aged 66. He was a former British newspaper correspondent in the United States. He edited the literary weekly "John O'London's" for ten years until last February. Reuters."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54-59

Current location (optional) Denholme