KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nick and Joe

Why was Nick called Nick, and why was Joe called Joe? Anybody know?

Re: Nick and Joe

No idea Allan, the same could be said for some other Masters nicknames, eg Nancy, Percy, though others like Basher, Ben Tren, Vince, Snakey,Eddie Currant, were more obvious.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes, you're right, Brian. We must've had fertile and twisted minds to come up with these. Strange though, eh? I remember in the first form being unaware of a certain master's nickname, and addressing him (on the instigation of Paul Helliwell) as 'Mr Creep'.

Kids have always tried to guess the unknown names of their teachers from their known initials. The head of the school where I taught was christened Bruce by the pupils from his initials 'AB'. He was Alan !!

For KBGS lads to guess that the 'N' initial of the new head (Neville Hind) stood for Nick, was not a big leap of faith. To add the epithet "old", and thus ascribe to him devilish qualities, was pure slander, but permissable pupil practice.

"Nev", as he was sometimes referred to, was not unaware of the application of this nomenclature to teachers.

He taught History to the fourth year and invariably told this story every year to each class - that when asked about a battle against the Scots in 1346, close to the City Of Durham, a certain pupil gave, instead of Neville's Cross, the answer "the Battle of Old Nick's Cross".

Pleased at this notoriety, Hind followed up his anecdote with a series of "Eh; Umh; Eh; Umh; umhz. He wanted to be known as Old Nick!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Ah yes Creep. Rev Moore I think taught some maths. As did 'Tex' Mitchell who was Head of Maths. so called because he was slightly bow legged. I also remember when he was explaining that 'Vertically Opposite Angles' were so called because they were VerTEXically opposite, adding 'Named after me, you see'

I suppose 'Percy' just rolled off the tongue with Peart, though he was D Anthony Peart, and known as Tony.. But why Nancy Leeming ? I dont remember him as effeminate .

Tex Mitchell was from the North East. Although he didn't sound Geordie or Mackem etc, he clearly had worked on his accent over the years, producing the Texan drawl which gave him his nickname.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

I always thought Tex has a Geordie accent, not a broad one, but Geordie inflected for sure.

We had another Geordie for maths in first year. Frank Dowson, I think someone 'christened' him 'Jagetme' (emphasis on get) cos as he wrote stuff on the board he said it after every line (do you get me?)